Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Threads: How not to bump them up
(01-26-2012, 12:03 AM)AceInfinity Wrote: Again though, if the spammer already posted on all of the threads that require more recent assistance, than they're going to move to the older threads anyways regardless because they simply don't care.

True. That is one way to look at it.
Although I'm sure spammers and feather busters will definitely ignore this thread, I do hope it will help some of the newer members who are legitimately interested in helping out others. Smile
I've never had a real problem with bumping old topics if the post is relevant and adds quality to the discussion. Otherwise it's an LQP and can be reported. I don't see why people fuss so much over old threads having new posts.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(01-26-2012, 03:21 PM)Omniscient Wrote: I've never had a real problem with bumping old topics if the post is relevant and adds quality to the discussion. Otherwise it's an LQP and can be reported. I don't see why people fuss so much over old threads having new posts.

Mainly for me, just the reason that old threads have already gotten the attention it's probably needed after a longer period of time than newer posts that might still require attention. Especially in the computer support areas, where someone comes to the forum and see's that other older threads are getting posted in for no reason from some spammers, and their thread gets un-noticed because it moves farther down the search queue and out of sight. This could also apply to other sections where people require help, like the Emotional Support sections though.

Edit: Mainly because in the past I have seen posting in threads that were from 2009 in the computer support areas, which probably are useless by that time to post in, as the person is long gone from the forum, or the person already had something solved. Whether the post is quality or not.
We don't have that much activity that a few old bumped threads move a valuable thread off the first page.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(01-26-2012, 03:32 PM)Omniscient Wrote: We don't have that much activity that a few old bumped threads move a valuable thread off the first page.

I have actually seen it a couple times, but the key here I guess is that it hardly happens that it gets bumped completely off the first page. Time's i've seen it though, involve the specific kind of spammer that looks through a specific forum that they know they can get away with dumbed down posts, and less thoughtful answers, like in the graphics area, pets area, and emotional support area. Just move from one thread to the next on whatever they see in there. Which sometimes involves posts on the newest threads there, because it's at the top by the time they see it.

But now assume multiple spammers, if they post on the newest one, a useless LQP, and move down, that ultimately reverses the order of the threads, because the newest thread becomes the less recent thread with new posts inside it, getting bumped farther down by the older threads as the spammer moves from top to bottom in the threads list. Now along with other spammers, those older threads get bumped even more.

When this forum becomes bigger though that might not be a problem, assuming that you feel there's no need to keep the feather award here because this forum can sustain it's own self without the help of external traffic.

That's enough of my nonsense though. Just showing what i've noticed, and only seen a new thread bumped off the first page maybe 3-5 times (that i've specifically noticed). Unsure about the threads that I haven't been keeping tabs on.

Some believe the answer in the Emotional support area can always be things like "Good luck, hope you feel better".
I've seen many threads from 2009 being bumped. There's no need for it.
I'm not trying to be rude or anything but isn't everything you just posted common sense? I know many people lack it, but those who bump threads for post count don't care and never will. Reporting it as "LQP" will be enough.
I don't find any issue with bumping certain threads, like guides or threads that will most likely just get created again and again because they are so far gone, no one even knows they are there.

Your mind is in the right place on trying to help the forum out a little, but most people will disregard it and do it anyways.

(01-26-2012, 03:21 PM)Omniscient Wrote: I've never had a real problem with bumping old topics if the post is relevant and adds quality to the discussion. Otherwise it's an LQP and can be reported. I don't see why people fuss so much over old threads having new posts.

I agree with this. It's not that big of a deal. They will just die off again later, just like every single thread made on the forum.
"Don't treat life as a losing battle, but as an ongoing challenge."
[Image: df0oS.png]
I appologise about doin this to one of the threads you mentioned that was bad on my behalf and you all have my appologies. Now everytime i reply to a thread i make sure to check the date and time Thumbsup. Also much appreciated to blackchaos for giving me the heads up in pm and telling me about this much appreciated bro.
Eligible.
(01-28-2012, 10:50 PM)Hуѕтєяιa X™ Wrote: I'm not trying to be rude or anything but isn't everything you just posted common sense? I know many people lack it, but those who bump threads for post count don't care and never will. Reporting it as "LQP" will be enough.

Yes, most of it is common knowledge. Yet, there are some people new to forums (not spammers or feather jocks) that don't yet know not to bump up old posts.
Sometimes even the most intelligent of people lose their common sense in the face of the Internet. Oui
I always accidentally bump up posts from years ago...it happens when I use google searches for stuff and it's just there. And then I always forget to take notice of the post dates :|

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Add: View My Threads Eternal. 11 2,694 10-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Autopost
  Regarding posting on old threads D3xus 10 1,730 10-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Frostix
  Threads don't count as posts? au3 0 618 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Last Post: au3
  Can't Send Messages/Make Threads Fragma 2 876 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Omniscient
  Wrongly closing my threads. Crayo 21 3,862 09-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Fragma