Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Threads: How not to bump them up
I've noticed a lot of old threads being bumped up accidentally by some members. Especially new members who might not know their way around the forum as well, but still want to help out.
Also, there's the spammers who are ever vigilant for the quick post count.

Although I support people posting on threads as much as possible and all-round healthy discussions, its one thing to say something on a thread which has been open for discussion and another to say something on a thread which has been dead and abandoned by the OP for more than a three months.

I thought I would help some of the members out by providing a few simple tips and a little nudge in the common sense gland. Smile

Please note that the following guidelines mostly apply to the threads that ask for help or support.
  • First and foremost, check out the date the thread was first posted on. If its more than two months old for most threads, thats pretty much it. But in the case of compilations, guides, tutorials, informative posts, etc. the date doesn't really apply. You're free to post any time you want to discuss something related to the OP's post.
  • Check the date of the last few replies. If you're planning on posting on a thread, its always good to check out the last few replies to check out where the discussion is headed. This gives you the opportunity to map the timeline of the post. If the posts are too wide spread across a few months time, then that probably means the thread is gone.
  • If you find a thread which you think may possibly be abandoned and doesn't actually have a solution, think it over. If you have the perfect solution for it which you think might benefit the OP or anyone else in a similar predicament, post ahead. Some one in the future might search for such a reply and end up not having to post another thread.
    Problem solved before problem posted. Smile
  • If the OP has said in the thread that the problem is solved, or if other members have solved the problem for him and the OP acknowledges, refrain from posting unless its really important. This applies mostly to older threads.

Not all of you may find these useful, but I think it might just help some one out there. If you take a second to think before posting, you could save your post from going in vain and instead help out some one who actually needs you.

Thanks for reading
BlackChaos
Great thread Chaos, usual great content from you. Smile

It should hopefully help the members to understand about bumping, well done.
Great topic, great tips. I Will keep this in mind and I hope the new members will see this as well.
------------------------
Add me on msn. I Would love to meet you.
tmpbbbb@hotmail.com
-------------------------
There is no rule for bumping topics here, it is allowed.

Anyway..this is literally common sense. The people who bump the thread are capable, they just honestly don't care.
People who bump threads just don't have regard as to how old the OP is, and they lack common sense. Unless they have a legit reason for bumping the thread...
[Image: QRCjW2pNdRK00.gif]
#Korra2018
No...they just do not care.
The spammers don't care because once they get the SF feather, they don't care what others think about their username on this forum when they go back to their home forum again. I would agree to what laugh stated, as who would purposely waste time trying to help a member who posted a thread back in 2009? They probably have long resolved the issue by now. The only reason I would do that is because it's not worth my time to make a new thread for some little output that I feel like sharing which pertains to that already created thread.
I agree with whats been said by Laugh and Ace, but I'm talking mostly about those who are looking to help someone out by replying to their questions or problems. If the thread is old and already dead, than that user is probably wasting their efforts on a dead thread where, alternatively, they could be helping some one who really does need their assistance right now.
I always bump my old guides and tutorials.
[Image: Nyan.jpg]
(01-25-2012, 09:40 PM)BlackChaos Wrote: I agree with whats been said by Laugh and Ace, but I'm talking mostly about those who are looking to help someone out by replying to their questions or problems. If the thread is old and already dead, than that user is probably wasting their efforts on a dead thread where, alternatively, they could be helping some one who really does need their assistance right now.

Again though, if the spammer already posted on all of the threads that require more recent assistance, than they're going to move to the older threads anyways regardless because they simply don't care.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Add: View My Threads Eternal. 11 2,645 10-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Autopost
  Regarding posting on old threads D3xus 10 1,680 10-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Frostix
  Threads don't count as posts? au3 0 611 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Last Post: au3
  Can't Send Messages/Make Threads Fragma 2 866 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Omniscient
  Wrongly closing my threads. Crayo 21 3,850 09-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Fragma