Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Dvorak Keyboard
(04-05-2010, 08:42 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: Well, right now, I'm using QWERTY. I've been practicing the Dvorak little by little each day. I know where half of the letters are, but I'm not so good with the top row/bottom row. The bottom row holds the least often used characters. It's also weird that the comma, apostrophe, and period are where 'q', 'w', and 'e' are on the QWERTY.

Do you like using it? Do you think you could become faster on that?
(04-05-2010, 08:45 PM)Pokémon Wrote: Do you like using it? Do you think you could become faster on that?

Right now, it frustrates me because I am very slow with it.
However, I know that if I got it down, it'd be way faster than QWERTY. I can type 'the' in a millisecond. 't' and 'h' and right beside each other, and 'e' is on the same row. Just an example.
(04-05-2010, 09:08 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: Right now, it frustrates me because I am very slow with it.
However, I know that if I got it down, it'd be way faster than QWERTY. I can type 'the' in a millisecond. 't' and 'h' and right beside each other, and 'e' is on the same row. Just an example.

Did you get the stickers? I think I am going to buy the ones of amazon. (the 1.99 ones)
(04-05-2010, 09:08 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: Right now, it frustrates me because I am very slow with it.
I want to have a typing contest before and after you get DVORAK down to see just how much "better" it is.
(04-05-2010, 09:21 PM)Pokémon Wrote: Did you get the stickers? I think I am going to buy the ones of amazon. (the 1.99 ones)

No, not yet.

(04-05-2010, 09:25 PM)Black Rabbit Wrote: I want to have a typing contest before and after you get DVORAK down to see just how much "better" it is.

OK, we can refer back to this when I get good enough at the Dvorak to test.
http://i44.tinypic.com/110d8xs.jpg
(04-05-2010, 08:28 PM)Black Rabbit Wrote: I can type anywhere between 75-135 WPM. I think sticking to the default QWERTY would be fine for me, or anyone with a good type speed.

75-135wpm is complete b.s. thats a 65wpm gap, unless you mean 75 with proper grammar and 135 wpm all lower case and without punctuation. if you think you type well with a qwerty keyboard then thats even more reason to switch, the qwerty keyboard learning plateaus off while you continue to get faster with the dvorak. i plan on learning it and i'll race you on it.
[Image: sig.php]
I'll race anyone on it. I can type fast any way.
Site Owner: http://www.awesomelounge.com

Feel free to join. It's full of greatness.

[Image: s1ckl3r2.png]
I've known about this keyboard for years and even put one together out of an extra keyboard I had lying around. It's pretty interesting to use, kinda hard to get used to. It's like learning how to type without looking at the keyboard all over again.

It's significance is that the letters for the most commonly used words are all found at home-row.

Give it a try, Omni.
[Image: csx47jm4kbi80w88ajnf.png]
(04-05-2010, 10:40 PM)Nyx- Wrote: 75-135wpm is complete b.s. thats a 65wpm gap, unless you mean 75 with proper grammar and 135 wpm all lower case and without punctuation. if you think you type well with a qwerty keyboard then thats even more reason to switch, the qwerty keyboard learning plateaus off while you continue to get faster with the dvorak. i plan on learning it and i'll race you on it.
I mean 75 - 90 when reading what I have to type and 90 - 135 when I don't have to type as I read or I know what I am reading/typing well.
I just ordered the stickers for my keyboard Big Grin (I got the red transparent ones)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mechanical Keyboard Guide [Pictures][Reviews][AWESOME] TalishHF 2 1,944 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Last Post: TalishHF
  My keyboard gets 'stuck' when I play MapleStory! ONeShoT 5 5,464 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Swaganomics
  What kind of keyboard are you using? Delicious 75 28,649 06-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Last Post: ControL1
  Squeeky Keyboard Omniscient 40 10,577 06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Detective RooTz