Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Dvorak Keyboard
I can easily see how much faster the Dvorak layout would be if I could learn it.
I'm going to take baby steps with it, but I hope to eventually know it like the back of my hand.

Y'all might check this out if you're interested.
http://www.theworldofstuff.com/dvorak/
EDIT: Woops, didn't see that that was posted already. I might actually buy a Dvorak keyboard.
I type incredibly fast on a QWERTY keyboard, and I'm a programmer, I'm super interested in the Dvorak just because of this, maybe one day I'll buy stickers, or do something similar to that ^^
[Image: sig.php]
(04-05-2010, 03:12 PM)Nyx- Wrote: I type incredibly fast on a QWERTY keyboard, and I'm a programmer, I'm super interested in the Dvorak just because of this, maybe one day I'll buy stickers, or do something similar to that ^^

I do too, but I think that I'd type a lot faster with the Dvorak.
(04-05-2010, 03:17 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: I do too, but I think that I'd type a lot faster with the Dvorak.

yea same, i actually plan one buying on i think

http://www.fentek-ind.com/dvorak.htm#std

they aren't dvorak by default(hardware) but the keys are dvorak and thats what im looking for, you still gotta change the OS's keyboard layout, but thats the easy part ^^.
I heard that with about 2 weeks of practice you can be typing faster than qwerty. I am seriously thinking about the switch, because I type slowly as it is. (~50 wpm) People wanting to make the switch should be weary of the fact that almost all computers use qwerty so forgetting will cause problems.
Honestly I don't believe the layout will contribute to speed, in the end no matter where the keys are it is all about knowing them by memory and being able to reach them fast, aka knowing where they are.
(04-05-2010, 03:54 PM)Black Rabbit Wrote: Honestly I don't believe the layout will contribute to speed, in the end no matter where the keys are it is all about knowing them by memory and being able to reach them fast, aka knowing where they are.

The keyboard was made so programmers could type more efficiently so I think you're wrong. (With respect of course <3 I just realized how rude that sounded, and how you're a mod xD)
(04-05-2010, 03:54 PM)Black Rabbit Wrote: Honestly I don't believe the layout will contribute to speed, in the end no matter where the keys are it is all about knowing them by memory and being able to reach them fast, aka knowing where they are.

you must not of read the link Omniscient posted xD

'The Dvorak keyboard layout was created in the 1930s by Dr. August Dvorak, a professor at the University of Washington, and William L. Dealey, his brother-in-law. It was the result of much effort studying typing behavior and letter frequency.'
(04-05-2010, 03:28 PM)Nyx- Wrote: yea same, i actually plan one buying on i think

http://www.fentek-ind.com/dvorak.htm#std

they aren't dvorak by default(hardware) but the keys are dvorak and thats what im looking for, you still gotta change the OS's keyboard layout, but thats the easy part ^^.

Those keyboards aren't too attractive imo Sad I hate to be shallow, but.. =p
I'm going to at least try to find a USB keyboard. If I can't, then I'll just buy stickers.

(04-05-2010, 03:56 PM)Pokémon Wrote: The keyboard was made so programmers could type more efficiently so I think you're wrong. (With respect of course <3 I just realized how rude that sounded, and how you're a mod xD)

So, you're going to hold back from saying what you think because the person whom you are talking to is a mod? Way to go.
I could never type with that, and I will never even try.

It'd be easier if the keyboard had the original keys in a small but visible size on the corner of the keys.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mechanical Keyboard Guide [Pictures][Reviews][AWESOME] TalishHF 2 1,915 02-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Last Post: TalishHF
  My keyboard gets 'stuck' when I play MapleStory! ONeShoT 5 5,417 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Swaganomics
  What kind of keyboard are you using? Delicious 75 28,104 06-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Last Post: ControL1
  Squeeky Keyboard Omniscient 40 10,230 06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Detective RooTz