Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
External Hardrives [OS Installs]
I have a Fantom Drives Green Drive 1TB.

I use it for storage for music, movies, etc.

Other than storage, is there anything cool I could use it for?

Edit:

I need to know that installing Windows 7 on this external hard drive will work.

This is my exact drive:
http://www.macmall.com/p/product~dpno~75...dp.ejchfbh
[Image: arch2.png]
you could insiall another OS on it.
I never thought of that. Sounds very interesting though. I can just partition it so I still have file storage capabilities? Would it require reformatting? I also do not know how to boot from the drive. (Somewhat noob) Thanks though!
1.It would not require reformat
2.You could keep file storing abilities
3.To boot from a drive you enter the BIOS when you first turn on your computer, arrow key over to boot, select boot device property or something like that and choose that hard drive as number 1.(you will have to do this everytime you want to boot from it)
(10-07-2009, 03:57 PM)PaNiK Wrote: You should run Ubuntu off of it Smile
I used to use Ubuntu while my WinXP Pc was down.
It's fun to change things up a bit.

I actually already have Ubuntu dual booted :p

So, if I could get Windows 7, I could use the external hard drive for that. That might be pretty cool.
Bump

What problems should I expect to run into?
No partitioning needed?
Boot from BIOS even though it's esata?

I just want to be sure before I attempt it. I don't really know what I'm doing.
you would need to partition it. If your computer is newer you should be able to boot from external HDD. Make sure you have enough space on it.
(10-07-2009, 08:27 PM)joey23art Wrote: you would need to partition it. If your computer is newer you should be able to boot from external HDD. Make sure you have enough space on it.

Okay, it's newer, had it close to a year. Windows Vista is my current OS. My external has over 75% capacity left. 20 gigs is the requirement I think. I'm just not sure how to partition.
Goto start menu. right click "computer" and select "manage" you will see a list to the right. double click "disk management" Right click the drive you want your OS on. Select "shrink" then type in how much space you want on the new partition. and follow the steps. once finished select the partition. It should say "unallocated space" select format and choose the NTFS file system. When you install the OS just select that drive.
Thank you joey23art. I will post back with results.
Bump

In shrink options, if I choose 300000MB to shrink, will that give me 300 gigs for the OS side of the HD?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't boot Computer with external hard drive connected EagerToLearn 6 1,788 05-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Last Post: EagerToLearn
  External Hard Drive Keeps Corrupting... JDBar 4 1,857 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Mystic Guru
  External Hard Drive Katz 11 1,698 12-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Last Post: XiX Eb0y XiX
  External, External HardDrive Question Resistance 12 2,103 11-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  External HDD as corrupt as a politician Annuit Coeptis 5 1,622 03-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Last Post: ktmrider530