Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AcePad (New Notepad Plus +)
I renamed the application, since someone from SevenForums though the old one was silly... (Namely the admin that had the audacity to ban me without reason).

I got a line display, but it still has a few bugs to work out. I might have to use multithreading to display the numbers as it's a little slow with a lot of numbers. Word wrap on, makes the display go away (because word wrap doesn't have accurate line count). You'd need a more advanced line display like Notepad++...

So far the selected index of the listbox i'm using for the line display is a little off when you hold down the enter/return button to get a lot of line numbers on the left, it can be fixed by going back to the top and moving down, but it changes the index and is in sync with mouse clicks on the rtb control, as well as the up and down arrows

Bugs I know about so far:

-mouse scroll doesn't scroll for the line display view, only with word wrap on where the line display is hidden from view
-app lags a bit with large line counts while line display is showing
-horizontal scrollbar while line display is visible only shows when the scrollbar position is scrolled all the way down, I need to find a way to override the controls position for the scrollbar
-the selected line index on the left (highlight) is "off" by a bit sometimes

Other than that if I had those things fixed everything is good to go. I got the line display synced from switching between word wrap on and off though.

Preview:
[Image: ibvBfW.png]

I originally started out with a code like this for the line numbers:
Code:
Private Sub RichTextBox1_EnterKeyPressed(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs) Handles RichTextBox1.KeyDown
        Dim numlinecount As Integer
        If e.KeyData = Keys.Enter Then
            numlinecount = (RichTextBox2.GetLineFromCharIndex(RichTextBox2.Text.Length)) + 1
            RichTextBox2.AppendText(CStr(numlinecount) & vbLf)
        End If
    End Sub

That was all fine, but I didn't have a way to remove numbers based on how many line chars were removed. I had planned out another method that would count the lines on textchange, but then I realized that it would be too slow because having around 1000 lines, it would have to recount all 1000 before moving to the display for 1001. This is definitely not an easy task for a line display, i've tried all kinds of methods from different snippets created by myself, but nothing seemed to work 100% without at least one flaw.

Download:
http://www.multiupload.com/9YMSM9IM6N

Everything should work perfectly with the word wrap option on as it hides the line display. The line display should work too, it's just that there's a couple things that aren't correct with the visual. It doesn't display the correct index sometimes, and the mouse scroll doesn't work for it. Horizontal scroll doesn't appear unless you are scrolled all the way to the bottom.

Enjoy the rest of the countless features i've added over the past few months though.
I now have Templates built into the application, you can choose from various text templates.

For example, I have an HTML template that will start you off with a basic HTML page format with meta tags, headers, body, and content area as well as a footer.
Latest release with new templates and automatic sorting is available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tg3dnzf59v1w5wu
Forgot some of the basics: All undo and redo functions now say what they will undo or redo the next time their event is raised.

Example:
[Image: ilKjNA.png]
Newest and biggest updates for this project:
  • I now have the application Multi-threaded
  • I have a sorting function that will sort both letters and numbers in combination with eachother
    • Note: With multithreading, I can sort about 1500 lines in 5 seconds

Possible Updates to come:
  • Document text encoding
  • Built in Symbol/Character map - However this would be useless without a way to change the encoding of the editor document
This looks pretty neat, I really like the password protection option. Smile
I've gotten requests from others to add in some sort of plugin system as well, to make it more open source. So that's a possible update that you might see later on too. I'm not sure what the plugins would be used for though, but if I get any ideas, then i'll make a plugin system for it.

I've tried to make this the most user friendly notepad that I could, and with lots of good unique features too.
Talking about updates, does the notepad have an auto update feature?
(08-08-2011, 04:01 AM)★Cooldude★ Wrote: Talking about updates, does the notepad have an auto update feature?

Nope, i'm releasing the updates manually. If people want the most updated version then they'll have to keep updated Smile

For now anyway, I might consider adding an auto updater in later.
This looks nice. but how much time notepad ++ exists nobody will use this...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Rlease] Advanced Notepad Chelloa 11 2,779 10-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Last Post: John.
  Notepad Plus + v2.5 [Coded by Ace] AceInfinity 94 23,785 08-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Scream
  Red X's Custom Notepad version 3! Red X 21 4,630 08-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Red X
  [Source] Notepad using MDI [/Source] KoBE 5 2,824 12-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Last Post: NathanE
  Red X's Custom Notepad VERSION 2! Now tabbed and music player included! Red X 22 6,312 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Red X