Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NOT DONE!!! ~ [Tutorial] Make your own Ethernet cables!
LOL Oh wow, posted by accident. Obviously not done. Will take suggestions on how to improve it in the meantime Smile Should be done by the end of the night!

Disclaimer:
To start off, I apologize if this was in the wrong section, I didn't know where to put it, so move if you wish. Smile This is my first real guide I've ever done for anything, so just try and bear with me. I also apologize for the low-res photos, I took them with my iPhone at work, at least I tried my best. Sleep Hope you enjoy it! Thumbsup

Onwards to the actual thread...

What is this guide about?
This is a guide to show all of you techys out there how to make your own Ethernet cables, or Cat 5 (5e)/RJ45 cables. I'm sure most of you know what they do, but for those who don't an Ethernet cable transmits network data to and from your router into your PC. If you're interested in learning more about these cables, you can find some great facts here.

Why would I want to make my own cables?
Making your own cables is just a simple convenience. Not only can you save quite a bit of money in the longrun, you could vastly improve the effectiveness of your home network. You will also be able to design cables to certain specifications, and prevent yourself from having to tie up that excess 4 feet of cable when you really only needed two. Not to mention Ethernet cables are a great bridge into making other types of cable, but I won't get into that here Smile

So if you're still reading I'm guessing you're probably interested in making some yourself, so let's get started...

Materials Required:

RJ45 Crimpers: Simple, straightforward tool for ending your termination. Places pressure on the tab closing the connector over the cable. Goes for anywhere between $10-30, found at any local home improvement store. Be sure to buy some that are for 8 pin connectors (will be clearly marked 8P).

Picture!

RJ45 Connectors: Probably the most crucial material required aside from the cable itself. Make sure they are male, 8-pin. Buy 2 for each cable you decide to make (one for each end, LOL), with a few extra in case you mess up. Most commonly sold in bulk, found at a local electronic store or easily purchased online. Dirt cheap. Thumbsup

Picture!

Box Cutter: I'm sure everyone has one of these lying around somewhere. Used to "score" the cable to strip off the insulation. Could buy actual wire strippers but not necessary, save yourself the money. Smile

Picture!

Cat5(5e) Cable: The most costly of all items you'll need. This is industry standard Ethernet cable. Make sure you're buying unshielded cable, otherwise you'd just be wasting your money. You'll only have to use as much as you need. When stripped should appear just like in the picture, aside from changes in color. Most commonly bought in 1000 ft. spools. Around $40 per 1000 feet.

Picture!

Wire "Snips": Wish I knew the technical term for these. Fairly self explanatory I think. Good, strong industrial scissors could be substituted, just make sure you could get a very straight cut with them. Bought for $10-20 at any home improvement store.

Picture!

Optional Materials:

Ethernet Tester: Helpful if you plan to make a lot of cables. Checks your terminations and reports any failures. Nice to know there's an issue before you rewire your network and try to troubleshoot everything. Can be ordered here.

Picture!

THE ACTUAL TUTORIAL (finally!) Thumbsup

Step 1: To start, cut your cable to the length you need. Until you get these process down, I suggest you give yourself an extra foot in case you screw up a couple times. Then, take one end and using your razor, "score" about 2" from the end of the cable. For those who don't know was scoring is, you cut all the way around the insulation, while keeping the inside wires intact (see Step 2 picture if still confused).

Step 2: Next, you're wall to twist the end to get a clean break and pull off the insulation.

**Note: Some wires may have a piece of string inside, that's useless to us, cut it off. Smile

Step 3: Here is where you need to do some research. Read up on your router and determine whether you will be need to be making a crossover cable or a straight-through cable. More information on crossover and straight-though cables can be found here.

In this tutorial, I made a crossover connection, which are done the same way aside from the order of wires.

Now that you know which one you're going to make, sort out your 4 twisted pairs accordingly.

Looking pretty good so far. I'm in electronics at school so I have all these materials, I've also made Ethernet cables before. It's fun.

Good work.
I have done this plenty of times, nice tut to break it down for people.
You should add the exact order that the inner-cables have to be ordered in (As the order in the picture is horrendously wrong).

Also you should explain the difference between a cross-over cable and a straight through cable. As they're both ethernet cables, just wired up differently inside. Also you should include an actual guide on how to create them. You've just simply listed the tools and items required.

As a person that's made over 50 meters of these cables. I can tell you it can be quite frustrating. Nonetheless, nice guide.

P.S Also list the standard for the cable!
I'd rather pick it up at a local computer shop for a couple bucks.

A great alternative, nonetheless.
(03-24-2011, 04:56 PM)Splodge0007 Wrote: You should add the exact order that the inner-cables have to be ordered in (As the order in the picture is horrendously wrong).

Also you should explain the difference between a cross-over cable and a straight through cable. As they're both ethernet cables, just wired up differently inside. Also you should include an actual guide on how to create them. You've just simply listed the tools and items required.

As a person that's made over 50 meters of these cables. I can tell you it can be quite frustrating. Nonetheless, nice guide.

P.S Also list the standard for the cable!

Did you miss the disclaimer? lol, it's not done Omg

I'm adding all of that, I took pictures of the individual steps. And I make a crossover in my diagram seeing it might be more confusing. I'll be showing both diagrams, don't worry Smile

Thanks for the advice I guess? Hahah Thumbsup
I don't splel check.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Make Your Computer Faster By Installing Virtual Memory[Tutorial] ๖ۣۜмσg тιмєz 1 1,029 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Last Post: SkyWalker
  Do you guys make your own cables? Scalise 11 2,505 03-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Scalise
  [EaZy TuToRiAl] How to Block 99.9% of Ads on Google Chrome [EaZy TuToRiAl] Resistance 7 1,095 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Microsoft
  ADSL on a ethernet network? myposbussie 1 618 02-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Last Post: 4u111