Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Debate week #1 Begins now
100% free will in my opinion, some outcomes may be more likely than others in life but that doesn't mean I blindly attribute these events to a higher power or "grand design", that's completely illogical.
(03-14-2011, 12:57 PM)Swat Runs Train Wrote: 100% free will in my opinion, some outcomes may be more likely than others in life but that doesn't mean I blindly attribute these events to a higher power or "grand design", that's completely illogical.

"More likely" isn't Fate. I think most of the debate is around the issue of people misinterpreting what Fate actually is. And it wouldn't be quite illogical until proven wrong or having some evidence that it doesn't exist. That being said, then they would both seem illogical with that type of logic. For next weeks debate though I had a couple suggestions. Illuminati conspiracies and 2012.. myth or fact?
(03-14-2011, 01:03 PM)Infinity Wrote: "More likely" isn't Fate. I think most of the debate is around the issue of people misinterpreting what Fate actually is. And it wouldn't be quite illogical until proven wrong or having some evidence that it doesn't exist

It can be illogical without proof otherwise, say you found 3 banana peels and a pile of monkey poop next to them, common sense would say a monkey ate them right? That's the most likely conclusion.

Now say some guy comes up and says he thinks the monkey was eating it but was abducted by aliens and then they ate the remaining banana.

One could practically eliminate the second answer from any logical considerations simply because it's so unlikely and "out there".

The same applies to this current debate and also to all religions.

Common sense would say when you can't know for sure, go with the most likely/logical outcome and you will come out correct more often than not.
(03-14-2011, 01:10 PM)Swat Runs Train Wrote: It can be illogical without proof otherwise, say you found 3 banana peels and a pile of monkey poop next to them, common sense would say a monkey ate them right? That's the most likely conclusion.

Now say some guy comes up and says he thinks the monkey was eating it but was abducted by aliens and then they ate the remaining banana.

One could practically eliminate the second answer from any logical considerations simply because it's so unlikely and "out there".

Common sense would say when you can't know for sure, go with the most likely/logical outcome and you will come out correct more often than not.

That's a bit of a stretch for an analogy considering the amount of knowledge we have to prove either one. Free will and Fate is like finding the eaten banana's without the monkey poop beside them. So no, i'm still going to disagree. It's not that illogical when put into perspective. How can you prove either one is right? In your analogy you could at least prove that it was monkeys. We don't have either side here, so that's a bad example.

illogical doesn't mean one or the other isn't possible as well. But I still say it's not illogical since there's no way to prove either side with evidence.
(03-14-2011, 01:10 PM)Swat Runs Train Wrote: It can be illogical without proof otherwise, say you found 3 banana peels and a pile of monkey poop next to them, common sense would say a monkey ate them right? That's the most likely conclusion.

Your logic is useless unless 100% percent right. Why believe "logic", maybe there was an alien. And how does this even pertain to the subject.
He was using an analogy to try and debate his side on Free will. Logic isn't 100% useless if you can't be proven right though just to clear things up. It could be based from common sense, as he tried to relate this to. But there is no logic in believing that Fate is illogical.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chose Week two's Topic Here and Now RDCA 27 7,199 03-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Last Post: GrammarPhreak
  Something I wrote earlier this week. Spafic 10 2,925 03-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Spafic