Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting a new netbook
Hey,

I've been looking for a good net-book to satisfy me with both a large enough screen and a small price tag, as it's intended just for web surfing on the go. For quite a while there hasn't been one on the local market here, but I believe I've found it now - MSI X-Slim X320.

[Image: 5661picture3Upload.png]

Specs are over here

My problem is - it comes preinstalled with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. I plan on switching, most likely to Suse or a flavor of Ubuntu. My problem is that I have never converted a laptop system myself before, I don't know what problems might I run into.
So I'd ask for suggestions what to look out for and what do I need to do in general. I'm planning ahead, I'll probably buy it somewhere in the next month.
Network may be a problem? Have wireless (if not built in) and hard wired from boot i say (just for safety). Beyond that hopefully you should be ok.
Linux is getting better and better for newer systems and hardware drivers etc.
The Rules!
FTW Forum <-- Home of the Damned! --> Join me On MM

(10-17-2009, 03:35 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: Network may be a problem? Have wireless (if not built in) and hard wired from boot i say (just for safety). Beyond that hopefully you should be ok.
Linux is getting better and better for newer systems and hardware drivers etc.

I have a lenovo s10 and I run windows 7 on it, I loveeeee it.
Specs are crap. It's an Atom processor with 2GB ram running Vista for $599. I would rather get a Dell Mini 10 for about $350. For $599 you can do a lot better.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
If you gonna buy it you should buy masive extra memory! And windows 7 Smile
I just got a Eee pc (Highest end) for 499. Came with Xp 160 gig hdd. You could get one of those. Then just clone the HDD to a new one, and install Suse or Ubuntu.
Well, I'd wait for the Nvidia Tegra to be mainstream in netbooks. It will give you a huge performance boost. I think there are a few companies who sell tegra netbooks so look out for those.
If you have any problems with the forum, feel free to email me via the User CP, or send me a Private Message.
I don't need it to be a high-end system, I need it to be exactly what it is - very portable, light and presentable. My main concern is running into any problems when switching to Unix (drivers etc.), so I'd need advice on that.
Check out today sellout.woot.com

http://sellout.woot.com/

Acer Aspire 10" for $225 with XP and 1gb ram. Good specs overall and amazing price.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
Looks like you can rip that thing in half Big Grin
(10-17-2009, 11:07 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Check out today sellout.woot.com

http://sellout.woot.com/

Acer Aspire 10" for $225 with XP and 1gb ram. Good specs overall and amazing price.

I dont even need a new computer. but at the price, how can I not get it? O.o

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does my netbook lag after 5 minutes of gameplay? d1ey0u 5 1,819 05-23-2019, 02:55 AM
Last Post: JabirSheikh
  Can't boot MSI Wind U100 Netbook radushewici 2 1,752 05-23-2019, 02:53 AM
Last Post: JabirSheikh
  The Great Laptop vs Netbook Debate Omniscient 124 44,831 07-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Business.Gov
  Speeding up Netbook Echelonex 11 3,538 07-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Viruz
  Netbook HDD physically damaged.[HDD Beeping] aggouras 12 4,283 05-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Lulz