Support Forums

Full Version: Getting a new netbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey,

I've been looking for a good net-book to satisfy me with both a large enough screen and a small price tag, as it's intended just for web surfing on the go. For quite a while there hasn't been one on the local market here, but I believe I've found it now - MSI X-Slim X320.

[Image: 5661picture3Upload.png]

Specs are over here

My problem is - it comes preinstalled with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. I plan on switching, most likely to Suse or a flavor of Ubuntu. My problem is that I have never converted a laptop system myself before, I don't know what problems might I run into.
So I'd ask for suggestions what to look out for and what do I need to do in general. I'm planning ahead, I'll probably buy it somewhere in the next month.
Network may be a problem? Have wireless (if not built in) and hard wired from boot i say (just for safety). Beyond that hopefully you should be ok.
Linux is getting better and better for newer systems and hardware drivers etc.
(10-17-2009, 03:35 AM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Network may be a problem? Have wireless (if not built in) and hard wired from boot i say (just for safety). Beyond that hopefully you should be ok.
Linux is getting better and better for newer systems and hardware drivers etc.

I have a lenovo s10 and I run windows 7 on it, I loveeeee it.
Specs are crap. It's an Atom processor with 2GB ram running Vista for $599. I would rather get a Dell Mini 10 for about $350. For $599 you can do a lot better.
If you gonna buy it you should buy masive extra memory! And windows 7 Smile
I just got a Eee pc (Highest end) for 499. Came with Xp 160 gig hdd. You could get one of those. Then just clone the HDD to a new one, and install Suse or Ubuntu.
Well, I'd wait for the Nvidia Tegra to be mainstream in netbooks. It will give you a huge performance boost. I think there are a few companies who sell tegra netbooks so look out for those.
I don't need it to be a high-end system, I need it to be exactly what it is - very portable, light and presentable. My main concern is running into any problems when switching to Unix (drivers etc.), so I'd need advice on that.
Check out today sellout.woot.com

http://sellout.woot.com/

Acer Aspire 10" for $225 with XP and 1gb ram. Good specs overall and amazing price.
Looks like you can rip that thing in half Big Grin
(10-17-2009, 11:07 PM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]Check out today sellout.woot.com

http://sellout.woot.com/

Acer Aspire 10" for $225 with XP and 1gb ram. Good specs overall and amazing price.

I dont even need a new computer. but at the price, how can I not get it? O.o
Pages: 1 2