Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advice
For 64 bit though, the system requirements are slightly higher than that of a 32 bit machine. I would say that you'd be okay with dual booting for linux, as long as you don't download a million programs for it. The biggest problem would be the amount of space left over on your Windows 7 partition for the hard drive in that case.

But for 123GB left over, that means you would have to free up some leftover space for Windows 7 and create a partition for Linux to run on as well. You could get away with 50GB on Linux for minimal use. But that would mean having around 70GB left over for Windows 7 to operate, and you would have to keep an eye on your disk space more often. That's not a whole lot of space when you look at it. But if you aren't going to be downloading a whole bunch of new programs and keep new files on your computer for Win 7, it would be possible.. Just take into account what you're going to use your computer for in the future... Videos, Picture files, Games, programs, etc...

I would recommend at least 4 GB of RAM as well for having Windows 7 64 Bit. For Linux, you only really need 1GB of RAM, which isn't that much, but that's the ideal requirement
(03-10-2011, 04:20 PM)Infinity Wrote: For 64 bit though, the system requirements are slightly higher than that of a 32 bit machine. I would say that you'd be okay with dual booting for linux, as long as you don't download a million programs for it. The biggest problem would be the amount of space left over on your Windows 7 partition for the hard drive in that case.

But for 123GB left over, that means you would have to free up some leftover space for Windows 7 and create a partition for Linux to run on as well. You could get away with 50GB on Linux for minimal use. But that would mean having around 70GB left over for Windows 7 to operate, and you would have to keep an eye on your disk space more often. That's not a whole lot of space when you look at it. But if you aren't going to be downloading a whole bunch of new programs and keep new files on your computer for Win 7, it would be possible.. Just take into account what you're going to use your computer for in the future... Videos, Picture files, Games, programs, etc...

I would recommend at least 4 GB of RAM as well for having Windows 7 64 Bit. For Linux, you only really need 1GB of RAM, which isn't that much, but that's the ideal requirement

Thanks for the advice. I have 4GB RAM so hopefully it should go ok. Can you recommend a Linux OS to use?
(03-10-2011, 04:30 PM)Fragma Wrote: Thanks for the advice. I have 4GB RAM so hopefully it should go ok. Can you recommend a Linux OS to use?

You might want to refer this thread to Solidus since i'm sure he's had more experience with Linux in general than I have. He may be able to help you out with a version of Linux that you would want.
Linux is a fairly small operating system, no matter which flavor you choose. And geared toasted what Infinity was saying, 250 GB is NOT the "minimum" for an OS to run. Sure, you can't put 1827389 OSes on a 250 GB, but you can definitely fit two or three. I have a 250 GB HDD and I was booting Windows 7, Ubuntu, Leopard, and Mint all of it! And there were no lagging problems.

Just try not to download a ton of crap. You'll be fine.

Partition your HDD in Windows 7 via the partition manager...make it, the rest of your HDD if you want. Minimum around 50 GB since you can save your files directly to your bigger Windows partition through Linux.

As for the distro, I recommend using either Mint or Ubuntu. You can see lifehackers recent posts...they just covered the "Linux Night School".

Good luck with it and PM me if you run into any issues :]
(03-10-2011, 04:30 PM)Fragma Wrote: Thanks for the advice. I have 4GB RAM so hopefully it should go ok. Can you recommend a Linux OS to use?

As I told you before, I'd go for Leopard.
[Image: leaocomletras2.png]
Hurt the one you love and you'll be hurting your life. 'Nuff said.
(03-11-2011, 04:13 AM)killamuvz Wrote: As I told you before, I'd go for Leopard.

Leopard is not a true Linux distribution. It's a heavily modified and commercialized version. True Linux is open source. Plus, any OS X version is a pain in the butt to install on a non-Apple machine unless you luck out like I did and had nearly fully supported hardware.
Leopard is the sex, kay? :3
Well for OS X just get a VM. I recon seeing one thread somewhere with it.
[Image: leaocomletras2.png]
Hurt the one you love and you'll be hurting your life. 'Nuff said.
(03-11-2011, 04:07 AM)Twicks Wrote: Linux is a fairly small operating system, no matter which flavor you choose. And geared toasted what Infinity was saying, 250 GB is NOT the "minimum" for an OS to run. Sure, you can't put 1827389 OSes on a 250 GB, but you can definitely fit two or three. I have a 250 GB HDD and I was booting Windows 7, Ubuntu, Leopard, and Mint all of it! And there were no lagging problems.

Just try not to download a ton of crap. You'll be fine.

Partition your HDD in Windows 7 via the partition manager...make it, the rest of your HDD if you want. Minimum around 50 GB since you can save your files directly to your bigger Windows partition through Linux.

As for the distro, I recommend using either Mint or Ubuntu. You can see lifehackers recent posts...they just covered the "Linux Night School".

Good luck with it and PM me if you run into any issues :]

Of course it's not the bare minimum, but why limit yourself. It should be the minimum for running Windows 7 alone in my opinion. There's a difference between cutting it close, and making sure that you have a decent amount left over. The suggested Hard Drive space is 250GB. How long do you want to have the OS without having to worry about freeing up space in the future for files. Updates and patches for your system don't just stop at a given point in time. Those will take up space if you want your system secure as well, and things add up. You won't run into any lagging problems just from your hard drive in reality. But as you get closer to the limit you run the risk of data loss.

I know Linux is a really small OS to install, but that doesn't mean that Windows 7 isn't.

In your post, Ubuntu, Leopard, and Mint, are all really small Operating Systems, and wouldn't even add up to the amount of space that is recommended for Windows 7 alone to install.

The more partitions you have to boot different operating systems on a single hard drive, the easier it is to fill up the capacity, and in general the less time it takes.
(03-11-2011, 04:46 AM)killamuvz Wrote: Leopard is the sex, kay? :3
Well for OS X just get a VM. I recon seeing one thread somewhere with it.

It's visually appealing. Yes.
Running it through VM is extremely difficult and IMO not worth it.

If 250 is the bare minimum for YOU, please don't state it as if it were a fact.
I only have about 30 GB of files and such, which I keep mainly on my external. I probably should have mentioned that. But I do keep a fair share of school work and GFX saved on my main. Anyway, yes. Those are small OSes. So OP shouldn't have an issue installing Ubuntu.

Sure, you might eventually (read: after MANY years) start running out of room. Re solution? Buy an external HDD, about $50, and save all your stuff on it.

(03-11-2011, 04:59 AM)Infinity Wrote: Of course it's not the bare minimum, but why limit yourself. It should be the minimum for running Windows 7 alone in my opinion. There's a difference between cutting it close, and making sure that you have a decent amount left over. The suggested Hard Drive space is 250GB. How long do you want to have the OS without having to worry about freeing up space in the future for files. Updates and patches for your system don't just stop at a given point in time. Those will take up space if you want your system secure as well, and things add up. You won't run into any lagging problems just from your hard drive in reality. But as you get closer to the limit you run the risk of data loss.

I know Linux is a really small OS to install, but that doesn't mean that Windows 7 isn't.

In your post, Ubuntu, Leopard, and Mint, are all really small Operating Systems, and wouldn't even add up to the amount of space that is recommended for Windows 7 alone to install.

The more partitions you have to boot different operating systems on a single hard drive, the easier it is to fill up the capacity, and in general the less time it takes.
Thanks a lot for all your help guys! I think I'm going to go with Ubuntu.

Wish me luck ;)