Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advice
I'm planning on dual-booting Windows 7 & Linux, but I'm not sure which Linux OS to run.

I've never used Linux before, so I'd like it to be easy to set up & use.
Any advice would be great.

Also, would it be a good idea dual-booting with a 250GB HDD?
This wouldn't take up a lot of memory would it?

Sorry if I sound like a total idiot.
a 250GB hard drive is basically the minimum for an Operating system. Microsoft recommends around 250-500GB just for Windows 7 alone.
(03-10-2011, 03:53 PM)Fragma Wrote: I'm planning on dual-booting Windows 7 & Linux, but I'm not sure which Linux OS to run.

I've never used Linux before, so I'd like it to be easy to set up & use.
Any advice would be great.

You should ask Solidus I think he knows a lot about Linux. Thumbsup
[Image: burninglove4.png]
Go for leopard :3
And if you haven't got much info 250gb will do. If you're planning on having loads of crap it isn't enough.
[Image: leaocomletras2.png]
Hurt the one you love and you'll be hurting your life. 'Nuff said.
(03-10-2011, 03:57 PM)Infinity Wrote: a 250GB hard drive is basically the minimum for an Operating system. Microsoft recommends around 250-500GB just for Windows 7 alone.

I have 123GB free though. Do you not think that would be enough? I don't have a clue about these things.
(03-10-2011, 04:03 PM)Fragma Wrote: I have 123GB free though. Do you not think that would be enough? I don't have a clue about these things.

No, that definitely wouldn't be enough. As I said before 250GB is the minimum. You'll have to add onto that with the number of programs you use, and by the time you get close to maxing out, you can expect the risk of data loss. If you were to add Linux on a separate partition to that hard drive that would take off a big chunk of that 123GB free space, leaving not much in the end. Plus you'd be wanting to install other programs and accessories on Linux which would take away from the amount of leftover space as well.

250GB is a small hard drive in todays world of operating systems. For Windows 7 I wouldn't recommend anything smaller alone.
(03-10-2011, 04:03 PM)Fragma Wrote: I have 123GB free though. Do you not think that would be enough? I don't have a clue about these things.

123 free space is ok, if you don't want to keep downloading shiz. If it is just for browsing then sure it will work :3
Also, I should have asked earlier, do you run 32bit or 64bit? Linux is a small requirement Operating System, so you could be alright. But for the Windows 7 side, that would be your main concern if you have to dual boot Linux as well.
I run 64bit
If he's not going to do much more the brwosing the webs or GFx he won't need more then he has now.