Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get more *active* members?
I do not watch "modern plays" or any play at all.
And, when I do go and work in a stressful enviroment,
I will plainly tell them that I do not stand for swearing.

Besides, that is different. I may have to take it, in order
to keep my job in order to eat,
BUT, if I don't have to take it, I WON'T.

And I certainly am not going to sit back, and let it
ruin a forum, "to get more members".
It certainly would not be a safe place for a kid to
join, and talk on.

_ISR_m3rc_
My poor thread, it had to deal with all this arguing Tongue

Ok, We all understand that you don't like our rule for no swearing DrPoodle... and we like it.

Let's get back to the point. How (other than removing some rules) can we get members active once they've registered? And HOW do we get more members!?

-Beta
No idea.
Sad I don't have any ideas either :'(
Two words:

Advertise.

Uhhh...I guess that's only one word.

I discovered the forum through Purple Bunny. I no longer use the service because it deteriorated to little more than an ongoing flame war, but if it's changed and anyone still uses it, it might be time to start a thread with the new URL. Tell ya what--I'll start a thread there and anyone that wants to help can post to it occasionally. It's good to keep the posting up to keep the thread near the top. But one thing is important to REMEMBER: If the troll crowd comes in and takes it over, don't get into a flame war with them. Ignore them. They'll keep it bumped up and that's all we're after. Another good ad service is StumbleUpon. I've entered the board and left a comment:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/firefox.n.../index.php

(You'll need to register a StumbleUpon account if you don't already have one.) I think it's important to not make any pretenses. Tell 'em up front that you're a member here and why you like it.

Another option is to blog it. If anyone has a blog, this would be a great feature (if it fits in with your theme).

And then there are always paid ads. If everyone gets busy and works hard to get things moving, I think I might be able to persuade Mama Spot to let me spend a few bucks on that. Let's try the free stuff and then we'll take another look at the paid stuff.

Papa
Okay, here's the Purple Bunny link:

http://www.purplebunny.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=2498
Here's another thought on maybe stirring some of the dormant members that we have to life. First of all, we need an event. It should be something that would interest a broad cross-section of people. Maybe it could be a contest of some kind. Or we could have a Firefox Party in some chat room. (I have a chat service available as a part of my domain service that I'd be glad to donate.) FW could send out an email to all members announcing the event and inviting them back for it and we could talk it up for a few days before the event.

Now, FWIW, here are my thoughts on the swearing issue. As an ex-biker and a former Marine, I'm certainly no SAINT when it comes to swearing. But I really don't think that very many people are going to shun a forum simply because they can't swear there. If someone's got a decent command of the Queen's English, they oughta be able to express themselves without swearing. If they have to swear to get their point across, they ought to consider expanding their vocabulary. Now while I don't agree with ISR that it's an EVIL thing, there's a time and place for everything. Like I said, I can swear with the best of 'em when there's no one around but me and the work crews, but I'd NEVER swear in front of my wife or girls. And I'm willing to bet that pretty much everyone here is able to find sufficient words to express themselves to their mom or grandma without swearing. If you can avoid it in certain situations, you ought to be able to avoid it in ANY situation. When we get bigger and the dynamics of the forum change, I MIGHT advocate a SMALL amount of relaxation. But right now, we have a rule and I will support it until it is changed.

Papa
I just deleted the Purple Bunny entry for the time being. I need to talk to FW before I put it back.

Papa
You can put it back Papa.

Papa Wrote:If they have to swear to get their point across, they ought to consider expanding their vocabulary.
I agree!

Papa Wrote:Here's another thought on maybe stirring some of the dormant members that we have to life. First of all, we need an event.
Done Smile Contest: Last One To Post Wins!
Though I did copy it from the MyBB Community, though I'm sure they won't mind!

FW
~ FFW
Nice contest, can't wait for it to start Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Active Emotion 3 498 12-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Last Post: D3xus
  It seems like just being active is being over active. RAT 11 1,157 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Mayhem
  Are you active or inactive on SF? Mystic Guru 32 6,100 02-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Mystic Guru
  What forums are you active on? Fragma 27 2,709 02-24-2011, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Denirulz
  Glad supportforums is active `P R O D I G Y™ 17 1,365 12-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Last Post: `P R O D I G Y™