Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the status on the HJT Squad?
(12-27-2011, 06:24 PM)Sam Wrote: I'm not sure, nor am I 100% familiar with the way the HJT squad used to work. - I assume anyone who knows how to help can help.

Then we'd get people who think they know how to help, helping and potentially damaging peoples' systems. I think there should at least be a list of qualified members, short of completely removing the group.
I really don't know. All I know is that the group is dead, it has been for months. As for it's removal, I'm not bothered.
(12-27-2011, 06:28 PM)Sam Wrote: I really don't know. All I know is that the group is dead and I really can't say much else.

Alright, fair enough. Hopefully we're able to reinstate it some day.
Well, this thread caught my attention. I am returning here to address this.

(12-25-2011, 11:21 PM)King Wrote: It looks dead and gone to me. Has it been put on hold for the time being? Or are there active trainees?

It is now dead for I have decided to quit because of the site's inactivity.

Quote:It's a shame really. I guess there just was too much going on elsewhere to be able to dedicate the time and effort required to maintain such a group here. Thanks mate.

I take offense to your statement. You were not here to witness the events before so kindly refrain from uttering comments about how it requires "effort" and "dedication" as if none was given at all. I daresay I honestly believe you have no idea how hard it was to maintain it alone for a long time so do not talk about things you are unaware of.

Provided that you are unknowing, I was its leader and the only professor. I had a large number of trainees but most of them weren't dedicated enough and it was simply a waste of time because the site was not going anywhere. Hardly any logs were posted and the people who trained here were from Omniscient's other forum anyway, where our main training area was at, and where there were other professors. I had three trainees who were with me until I decided it was high time for us to move back to Omniscient's other active forum where they continued their training. They made it through after months of training; one is already a graduate and two are undergraduates. I wouldn't say nothing happened.

As for the sub forum, I am aware that it appears empty in a sense. Let me inform you that it was one of our main concerns since it was visible to everyone and no appeal could make the administrator hide it. We were fine with some of the information being visible, but some were just too important to let anyone and anybody see and use it, as it will pose a very great threat to the current malware removal techniques and secrets malware coders just cannot and should not know. I can understand if one will not see its importance but this is a big issue. In light of this, there were many cases when trainees from the other forum cheated because they can see the (practice log) threads here without even having to register. I am not against how the administrator wants to run his site; it is just that for the sake of free information we are risking something valuable for malware analysts. Again, I do not expect those who are not in the field to understand and perhaps between keeping the training area and making the forum run effectively as possible, the latter is much more appealing for a businessman's point of view and I respect that.

Anyway, I guess that is where your implication came from; I disposed of all the threads to remedy the problem so the sub forum has no trace of activity except for the tutorials posted a long time ago.

(12-27-2011, 01:47 PM)Omniscient Wrote: Just no leadership for it. Sad but it happens.

I think you are aware why we moved on. I apologize for any inconveniences it has caused you, but I believe it has not done any damage.

(12-27-2011, 06:24 PM)Sam Wrote: I'm not sure, nor am I 100% familiar with the way the HJT squad used to work. - I assume anyone who knows how to help can help.

That is not true. We only allowed people to help in threads that have no logs. Trainees cannot respond to those with logs either, only graduates and professors.
Well that's that answered. Hopefully the group can be removed as to avoid no more confusion.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HJT Team and SF Kewlz 10 2,176 05-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Last Post: ven0m
  Status Updates and Profile Comments? Peter L 17 2,865 03-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Peter L
  Greetings, HJT Squad Eve 33 4,429 11-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Last Post: Quintus
  HJT Team + General Cleanup of Computer Security Forum Zurmi 17 3,038 09-29-2010, 05:28 AM
Last Post: N3w_2_H@Ck1n™
  Congratulations to Yin, HJT Squad Leader Eve 48 15,397 08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Kyuubi