Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A Light In The Window, Short Story.
Hey Support Forums, this was a piece I wrote during my INT2 English course at school. This was written entirely by my self, no help from my teacher or any other pupil. I'm simply looking for some good+honest C&C on what you guys think of the piece.

A Light In The Window

Once again, the light flickers in amongst all the windows in the world. He did not want her to leave. Not like this, but his want was not enough to save her. As he lay there on his bed that night, all that could come to his mind is how this could possibly happen. She was the most cheerful person in the world, no one meant this much to him before. Now with her gone… is there any point of living? Then again, as time moves on. So should he.

The unpleasant smell of anti-bacterial soap and the dreary safety poster’s plotted around the waiting room made the feeling worse. Sitting there for hours on end, he realized that what if she doesn’t make it. What if it all goes wrong and this fight was for nothing. Towards the end of his stay, tom fell asleep he gladly welcomed its quiet surreal state to end the perpetual screams of the other patients. As time swiftly moved on, the deep gritty voice awoken tom as he lay sleeping in the waiting room. He was e crushing words were heard: “I’m sorry tom, we did all we can” quiet, secluded tears silently weeping from his eyes, he left.

Tom can’t recall much about leaving the hospital. Doctors and nurses flew past him in all directions, but were unnoticed on account of his daze. He can only remember the tears that splashed haphazardly on his shirt and cheeks, and as the taste of sorrow rained down his face. The station lay empty almost silent but for the never ending whistle of the watchman alone cold and destitute, tom waited. As he boarded the train, and the ticket man pondered down the aisle. All that could come to mind as she never had her ticket ready. She just sat there with her feet up, relaxed.
With each day that passed his mind became increasingly devoted to the fact his dear beloved had gone. Blaming himself how he let it happen, he could have prevented it.

Toms antic disposition grew as the days went by; He would wake up and make breakfast for the two of them, not knowing… She will never come back. His mind thought otherwise he came to the conclusion that she would come back, one day. He didn’t know how nor’ when, but she will come back.

Tom sat in deep silence, still living in the memory of his lover. To Tom, the simplest of tasks became a heavy burden. Time would be very much occupied of sitting in his bedroom, looking at the picture of them on their wedding day.

Tom began to hate himself every time he saw his pasty reflection in the mirror he wanted to smash it to pieces he would starve himself and save himself just before death only to do it again like a never ending torture. He would cause himself harm, doing the simplest things such as scraping his knuckles against a stone wall, till he could take it no more.

As his of self-hate worsened over the course of time, the hallucinations of his deceased lover became stronger to the point of it becoming dangerous to be around him. All that occupied his nights were trying to drink away his destituteness, as he sat on his damp, molding couch and a bottle of turps’ he was just trying to push himself over the edge of life.
So the next day, he woke up and she was there lying next to him. Like it was a dream, he reached out and tried to cuddle her, but to his shock that she hugs back they just lie there hugging and laughing and have a great time but then his dream comes to an end, and he wakes up in the mental hospital after throwing hurdling himself from a bridge.

Suddenly like the traffic he once threw himself into he realizes that, the light that was once his. Has now gone forever.

[The End]

-Barneyyz™

[Image: ADAM1.png]
I consider it as a pretty good short story.

I loved your creativity and the wordplay. Keep it up!
Thanks for your feed back, I wrote it due to a personal mishap. Not in the sense that i was at home on my own drinking a bottle of turps. More in the sense that I was in a break up, hit me pretty well. This is pretty much how I felt. So she wasn't in hospital, or what ever and I wasn't in a mental hospital. As i said this is how i felt.
The story was nice, I liked the last line a lot. "the light that was once his. Has now gone forever." it has a nice feel with the rest of your story.

My only negative criticism is to check your grammar, punctuation, and to a certain extent the flow of the story.

I loved the story though and it did give me some inspiration to write a story about a mishap of mine.

7/10
We all have things we want to say, but not publicly. We all need help with them at one point. If you want a private conversation or seek private help, send me a PM.
I'll try and get the grammar and flow sorted out. Thanks for your C&C Veryx!
it's actually a pretty good story, nice read Smile
Nice Story Smile Awesome Work!
Thanks guys, means allot.
this is really good man, Very creative
A wonderful story, but your creativity has the potential to extend further beyond. Halfway through the story, instead of continuously using the word "Tom", try using a few more pronouns. Besides that and the possible grammatic errors, your work was definitely an invigorating read. Quite different from what I've usually read on this forum.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SHORT POEM] Silent night. Magma 59 13,884 02-20-2020, 01:23 AM
Last Post: pearl
  Five Word Story Minus-Zero 781 247,411 11-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Last Post: SynorisTechnologies
  [Narrative Story] Empty Creatures Froggy 6 1,718 10-15-2016, 03:19 AM
Last Post: thomasf2220
  Creepy story - Curiosity thespragg 2 1,162 03-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Dubai
  Short Story, don't know if I should continue. Speak 2 1,446 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Dubai