Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TUT] How to password protect files! [TUT]
Today I'm going to show you how to password protect your files with a program called Folder Lock. This program encrypts and/or locks locks files for you. You can use any password you want, but obviously the longer it is the safer your file will be.

Lets begin:

1. Download the trial for Folder Lock HERE

2. Do the basic setup (I shouldn't have to walk you through that).

3. If you allowed it too it should have made an icon on your Desktop and started after installing.

The first thing you will see:
Just click "Later" unless you have/found a key.

4. The next screen you will see is this:
If this is your first time click "Create New Locker"

5. This is where it asks for your password. DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSWORD. You may never be able to get into these files again! Also, you want a long password so the encryption is stronger. Use song lyrics if you have to.

6. Now its pretty simple. Choose what you want to do and click "ADD" then "Encrypt/Lock Now"

Now let me clear something up.

Encrypting: This will keep your files safe from outside computers. Without your password they cannot get in unless they break the encryption, which would be very difficult.

Locking: This puts a lock on your folders so that people on your computer cannot access them without the password. This may not always protect you if you are being attacked.

I did write this, and do everything myself. Please do not steal.

It only takes a few seconds to say thanks. Victoire
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
-JFK

I usually just use WinRAR encryption for files like this, but the only bad part about doing that is that if you have a lot of files inside the archive, that it takes a while to extract even after you input the password correctly

I use TrueCrypt as well
(03-10-2011, 02:18 PM)Infinity Wrote: I usually just use WinRAR encryption for files like this, but the only bad part about doing that is that if you have a lot of files inside the archive, that it takes a while to extract even after you input the password correctly

I use TrueCrypt as well

I also use TrueCrypt, but idk if it does simple password protection, does it?

I just have it for boot and my hard drive. This was easier for me to put individual files in.
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

-JFK

(03-10-2011, 02:20 PM)Codad Law Wrote: I also use TrueCrypt, but idk if it does simple password protection, does it?

I just have it for boot and my hard drive. This was easier for me to put individual files in.

Yeah, that's one thing about TrueCrypt, is that it's way more complex and advanced from what this looks like. It would be nice to have a simple encryption for files. No one but me uses my computer though, so I wouldn't really need it. I only really need encryption for my file uploads. So WinRAR is usually an option for me since it makes the download faster (smaller file size), and it still encrypts the contents that I don't want being released to the wrong group of people.
(03-10-2011, 02:26 PM)Infinity Wrote: Yeah, that's one thing about TrueCrypt, is that it's way more complex and advanced from what this looks like. It would be nice to have a simple encryption for files. No one but me uses my computer though, so I wouldn't really need it. I only really need encryption for my file uploads. So WinRAR is usually an option for me since it makes the download faster (smaller file size), and it still encrypts the contents that I don't want being released to the wrong group of people.
Well I was looking at reviews and stuff, and this and TrueCrypt were mentioned in the same article. Actually, TrueCrypt was more of an after thought. I love TrueCrypt though. I'm glad I have it.
-Adolf Hitler

-JFK

No need for software.

1. Copy and paste the following into notepad:

Code:
cls
@ECHO OFF
title Folder Confidential
if EXIST "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
if NOT EXIST Confidential goto MDLOCKER
:CONFIRM
echo Are you sure you want to lock the folder(Y/N)
set/p "cho=>"
if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
if %cho%==y goto LOCK
if %cho%==n goto END
if %cho%==N goto END
echo Invalid choice.
goto CONFIRM
:LOCK
ren Confidential "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
attrib +h +s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
echo Folder locked
goto End
:UNLOCK
echo Enter the Password to unlock folder
set/p "pass=>"
if NOT %pass%== Enter your password here FAIL
attrib -h -s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
ren "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" Confidential
echo Folder Unlocked successfully
goto End
:FAIL
echo Invalid password
goto end
:MDLOCKER
md confidential
echo Confidential created successfully
goto End
:End

Replace "Enter your password here" in the code with your password.

2. Save this file as "Hello.bat".

3. Double click the Hello.bat file, and a Confidential folder should be created. Move anything desired into this folder.

4. Now to lock the file, click on the Hello.bat file. Enter "y" and the folder is now hidden and locked.

5. To access it, click on the Hello.bat file once again and enter the password.
(03-10-2011, 09:06 PM)Deltron Wrote: No need for software.

1. Copy and paste the following into notepad:

Code:
cls
@ECHO OFF
title Folder Confidential
if EXIST "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
if NOT EXIST Confidential goto MDLOCKER
:CONFIRM
echo Are you sure you want to lock the folder(Y/N)
set/p "cho=>"
if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
if %cho%==y goto LOCK
if %cho%==n goto END
if %cho%==N goto END
echo Invalid choice.
goto CONFIRM
:LOCK
ren Confidential "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
attrib +h +s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
echo Folder locked
goto End
:UNLOCK
echo Enter the Password to unlock folder
set/p "pass=>"
if NOT %pass%== Enter your password here FAIL
attrib -h -s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
ren "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" Confidential
echo Folder Unlocked successfully
goto End
:FAIL
echo Invalid password
goto end
:MDLOCKER
md confidential
echo Confidential created successfully
goto End
:End

Replace "Enter your password here" in the code with your password.

2. Save this file as "Hello.bat".

3. Double click the Hello.bat file, and a Confidential folder should be created. Move anything desired into this folder.

4. Now to lock the file, click on the Hello.bat file. Enter "y" and the folder is now hidden and locked.

5. To access it, click on the Hello.bat file once again and enter the password.

lol you think that's secure though? I can open the bat file and look at the code. Then all I would need to do is open cmd prompt and go to the directory with the bat file, and type in "md confidential"

Unlocked.. Smile
(03-10-2011, 09:37 PM)Infinity Wrote: lol you think that's secure though? I can open the bat file and look at the code. Then all I would need to do is open cmd prompt and go to the directory with the bat file, and type in "md confidential"

Unlocked.. Smile

It will be for anyone that accesses your computer.

If you are having intelligent persons that are familiar with CMD commands over, it won't work. But it will be enough to protect from any family members, friends, etc.
(03-10-2011, 09:49 PM)Deltron Wrote: It will be for anyone that accesses your computer.

If you are having intelligent persons that are familiar with CMD commands over, it won't work. But it will be enough to protect from any family members, friends, etc.

I guess not everyone knows what the md command is for, or how to read batch files. So it probably would work. Unless they were determined enough to post that code out in the internet, or ask someone how to open/read a batch file to see how they could unlock it.

Usually people don't do that though, so you could probably get away with it lol. It really isn't that secure though in the overall sense. It would take me a minute to get to the folder
Thanks, been using this for a while.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No OCX files peter12321a 3 1,017 02-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Untitled
  [TUT]6 Steps to Troubleshooting PC Issues.[TUT] Codad Law 22 8,391 07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Evaluation
  {TUT} Everything About Your PC {TUT} INC3PT!0N™ 16 2,519 07-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Last Post: VIRUZ™
  [TUT] How to Organize Your Desktop Metapod 47 6,108 07-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Last Post: djakariuz
  [TUT] Make your PC clean & Fast & safe! WITH PICTURES! [/TUT] iRoroana 12 3,427 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Last Post: iRoroana