Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[TUT]6 Steps to Troubleshooting PC Issues.[TUT]
Ok guys. There are 6 steps to helping somebody fix their PC. I will go through these steps with you in detail.

1. Interview the User and Back Up Data
This step is self explanatory. Question the User about the issues and
backup all of the data as needed.

2. Establish a Theory.
In this step you need to examine the system and make the best guess
of the problem source. You make this guess based on things you have learned.

3. Test Your Theory.
This step you test your guess. If you were correct move on to step #4. If you were wrong either give up or return to step #2.

4. Plan the Fix and Resolve the Problem.
Plan out the steps you will take to fix the problem and execute these plans.

5. Verify and Prevent.
Make sure the system works properly. If it doesn't please return to step #2. If it does work then ask yourself, "Could this issue have been prevented?" If this is the case take preventive action. This could be anything from downloading an anti virus to simple software upgrades.

6. Document.
Document all of your findings, actions, and outcomes. This is important for your business. I always make two documents. One for me and one for the User. This is so mine can have a more in depth documentation, while theirs are just the basics. If I gave them mine, they wouldn't need my help again. This is a loss of business.

[Image: 6stepstotroubleshooting.png]

I hope this helped. I did type this out myself. The chart comes from the book: A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining your PC, 7e.

If this helped you in anyway please say, "Thank you". It only takes a second.
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
-JFK

LOL@ the "Give Up" step.

I liked this. We have the same diagrams in our QC department for troubleshooting.
I don't splel check.
This is known as a black box top level assessment. Nicely written.
Thanks for the positive feedback. I don't know if this will really help someone on here, but this is just basic for an IT type job.
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

-JFK

Thanks for the thread! This could be very useful to those less experienced with fixing computers. I however am all over my relatives computers, all the time, so I'm used to it.
I do this all the time without realizing it. Nicely written and will definitely be helpful for noobs.
(03-21-2011, 04:28 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: I do this all the time without realizing it. Nicely written and will definitely be helpful for noobs.
Oh, thank you very much. Tongue

-Adolf Hitler

-JFK

Thanks for sharing codad!, I must be a noob, cuz you taught me something, xD! Appreciate brah.!
if ( ( youAreHappy) && (youKnowIt) )

clapYourHands();
This reminds me of the scientific method i learned in History
(06-23-2011, 10:28 AM)Mastermrz Wrote: This reminds me of the scientific method i learned in History

Are you stupid?
-Adolf Hitler

-JFK

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steam Issues. MineCrack 3 2,007 01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Quizzical
  {TUT} Everything About Your PC {TUT} INC3PT!0N™ 16 2,415 07-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Last Post: VIRUZ™
  [TUT] How to Organize Your Desktop Metapod 47 5,846 07-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Last Post: djakariuz
  [TUT] Make your PC clean & Fast & safe! WITH PICTURES! [/TUT] iRoroana 12 3,290 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Last Post: iRoroana
  [Tut]How to Partition a Hard Drive[/Tut] Idiot #1 23 6,823 05-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Last Post: elvinguitar