Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[tut]Change the Windows 7 Login Box
Windows 7 Longhorn Login Box

[Image: 340x_change_win7_logon.jpg]

This tutorial will show you how to change the defualt windows 7 login box to the Windows 7 Longhorn concept design. This is not my coding, but I will design something that looks a bit more cooler at a later time. However this looks really sick and I am using it right now. So just follow the steps below and enjoy.

1. Download the Take Ownership reg edit, you can do so by clicking here.
2. Once you have ran the registry edit so that you can take ownership with the right click menu, you will need to locate the longhorn .dll file replacement. You can find the download source by clicking here.
3. Once you have replaced the .dll file you should restart your computer.
4. Turn your computer on and enjoy the new login screen.

If everything is sucessfull you will get a screen that looks something like the one shown above. However you can chose which edit you want from the supplyer of the edited files.

Note: I do relize there are other tutorials for this, but this was just something I decided to make like now. I thought it would be intersting to share. So thanks for your time.

Thanks,
Tyler
[Image: tyler-allen.png]
I changed my default login sound with resource hacker so that I was able to view the contents of the system files that I needed to edit. Got tired of microsofts default for that lol. You can also do a registry edit to make a windows logon message appear on boot.
This is a nice tut but i just need to ask one more question before trying this out. Is this process reversible and can i get the previous logon screen if i wanted to after doing this? Just want to know
[Image: banner.gif]
(09-25-2010, 12:07 AM)ruk00112 Wrote: This is a nice tut but i just need to ask one more question before trying this out. Is this process reversible and can i get the previous logon screen if i wanted to after doing this? Just want to know

Yes, all you have to do is make a copy of the .dll file you have to replace and save it in a folder (anywhere). Then if you get tired of the edit you can just replace the newer .dll file with the old .dll file.
This is A Very Nice tut... Thanks For sharing this with the Supportforums community... I never knew this But Now i do...
[Image: OGForumsbanner.png]
(09-25-2010, 07:59 AM)Optiikzz™ Wrote: This is A Very Nice tut... Thanks For sharing this with the Supportforums community... I never knew this But Now i do...

Haha well glad to help out. Tongue
(09-25-2010, 12:07 AM)ruk00112 Wrote: This is a nice tut but i just need to ask one more question before trying this out. Is this process reversible and can i get the previous logon screen if i wanted to after doing this? Just want to know

Yes, this would be reversible, as soon as you get into registry modifications, you will understand that you ALWAYS make registry backups. It's simple to do yet most forget about doing that and dont realise that if you mess something up that you can corrupt your system. If you have a registry backup though, its as simple as clicking on that reg file and restoring it to the way it originally was before you made the changes.

File>Export once you have clicked on a registry key if you want to back something up. Save the backup to a place that you will remember. And same with the dll file.
Hey pal i tried this out and i even ran the installtakeoverownership.reg file and added it to the registry but i cant seem to replace the authui.dll file with the current file. Please help me. Im using windows 7 ultimate x64 bit version if that helps
[Image: banner.gif]
did you take ownership for it? you can also do this in cmd prompt by typing in

Code:
takeown /f %directory%

example: takeown /f C:\Windows\file.dll
(09-25-2010, 10:00 AM)ruk00112 Wrote: Hey pal i tried this out and i even ran the installtakeoverownership.reg file and added it to the registry but i cant seem to replace the authui.dll file with the current file. Please help me. Im using windows 7 ultimate x64 bit version if that helps

Make sure you right click ont he file you want to take ownership of and then click the option just for that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [TUT]How to Reset Password Windows XP/Vista/7 by Hiren's BootCD Jinu 6 20,420 11-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Last Post: RedTannins
  [TUT]How to optimise Windows 7 & get good speed? Jinu 2 1,288 12-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Last Post: thespragg
  [Tutorial] How to change windows 7 login background image flAmingw0rm 70 21,138 09-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Last Post: ₠o™
  Windows won't load dvorak on login screen Annuit Coeptis 9 6,124 07-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Sam
  [Tutorial] How to Change Login Screen WMM 23 2,081 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Marik™