Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you use Linux? =)
You probably don't know this DRS having been a ubuntu user for all your computer literate years, but most Linux systems use the su - command. the su - command is used to give the user a root terminal, this gives absolute control without the safety net sudo gives you. Personally i find it allot less annoying. you can get a root terminal in ubuntu with sudo su -
I never saw much of the difference when I tried it.
You would have to further explain what it does, before I will most likely understand.

Dr Small
Nope, I was never a Linux user.
Dr Small Wrote:I never saw much of the difference when I tried it.
You would have to further explain what it does, before I will most likely understand.

Dr Small

after using the command you will be logged into a root terminal. It will say
Code:
[root@computername ~]#
instead of
Code:
[username@computername ~]$
You will be able to use root commands without having the annoyance of having to type sudo before everything. Such as...
Code:
[root@andromeda ~]# rm -rf /
MiNT Wrote:after using the command you will be logged into a root terminal. It will say
Code:
[root@computername ~]#
instead of
Code:
[username@computername ~]$
You will be able to use root commands without having the annoyance of having to type sudo before everything. Such as...
Code:
[root@andromeda ~]# rm -rf /
Oh, Ok. I get it. That makes sense. But I'm so used to typing sudo cmd, that it has become a habbit with me Tongue It's kinda hard to break old habits Big Grin

Dr Small
Some weeks ago I finally installed Ubuntu 6.10 on our laptop with dual boot (Windows + Linux). Works great! Big Grin
Here's a question for you LINUX folks. I've got an antique computer that doesn't have enough power or memory to do much of anything. Would it be a possible candidate for installing LINUX on in order to learn how to use it? If so, would I need to install an older version (since the computer is so wimpy) or would any version work on it?
It would depend on the hardware. Whats the spec of the computer?
You shouldn't need to use older versions. There are modern distros that are designed to be used on ancient hardware.
I don't know anything about it other than it's a Compaq Presario 2286. I found this on the Internet:

300MHz AMD K6 processor
64M of RAM
3.2G IDE disk drive

According to what I found, that was the standard issue on the unit and I would imagine that mine's standard.

I also found THIS which doesn't look good.
Wow. That is an antique!
I remember those days, of my first Win95 PC.
1 GB of space.... Couldn't do much with that.
And to think, I saved all my images as .bmp's !

Well, I need to boot back up in Windows to find out a cmd for you.
This command you will need to type in command prompt, and it will give you all of your system info.
It might be 'sysinfo', but I'm unsure.

So, you can try it, if you want, while I'm rebooting.
Open Command Prompt (don't tell me you don't know how Tongue) Go to Start -> Run -> (and type) 'cmd'

Now, in Command Prompt, try typing 'sysinfo'
If it works, it'll display a lot of system information, which would best help us if you pasted it all in this thread.
I may have the wrong command, so I'll reboot and get you the right one, (if I'm wrong).

Until Then!

Dr Small