Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
[Suggestion] Allow the use of HTML/CSS in Posts
I mean, tutorials for HTML and CSS are sometimes hard to do, no matter how easy those 2 are.
Yet showing a Live preview/demo of a code is impossible in the posts... But would help the reader understand it better.

As far as I know HTML is only dangerous for a site, when the use of script tags is allowed...
So I don't see why we wouldn't be able to post normal HTML using CSS style attribute...

The script tag can easy be parsed into a safe string....
Just disallow the script tag and let us use HTML formating in the posts..

Tags like p, div, span and even tables... they all can be then styled through the attribute style....

I would like to be able to use basic html tags and style them up a bit...
I don't really see the the purpose of CSS in posts but HTML would be nice to have. I'm not fully aware of the drawbacks of it though. There's probably a good reason why most sites don't allow it.
Robert Picard
http://www.rpicard.net
> I'm not fully aware of the drawbacks of it though.

Massive (MASSIVE) security issues.
GamerCraft

Visit it, and tell me what you think. Tongue
(01-31-2010, 06:37 PM)RPicard Wrote: I don't really see the the purpose of CSS in posts but HTML would be nice to have. I'm not fully aware of the drawbacks of it though. There's probably a good reason why most sites don't allow it.

As long as SCRIPT and I/FRAME tags are disallowed from the use, there is nothing that can damage the site... I think...

Basiclly every code that uses a SRC attribute, including IMG, LINK and few others..

But you also don't need these tags, there is a myCode for images... and so on...
The ability to style those elements with CSS will give the poster some "uniqueness" so to say... We will be able to design our Posts not just simply bold a text here and underline it there...

It is most probably disallowed on most site, because it can get hard to control it...
I mean... If I would post something like this;
Code:
<div style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;top:0;left:0;z-index:1000;background:#000000;"></div>

Everyone would see a Black page, because the div is set to be 100% 100% in size and also the most top element z-index...
Therefor the user would not be able to browser further without pressing the Back button...

But z-index and position values are not needed in posts, PHP can take care of it easy...
CSS would be nice. There is a nice plugin for the profile but i don't know of any for the text. Would be cool.
> there is nothing that can damage the site.

You can still steal peoples IP adresses, and do some other hacking I believe.
GamerCraft

Visit it, and tell me what you think. Tongue
(01-31-2010, 09:21 PM)TheLifelessOne Wrote: > there is nothing that can damage the site.

You can still steal peoples IP adresses, and do some other hacking I believe.

No, as long as your use of HTML is limited to a div tag and few other ones, there is nothing that can happen.
(01-31-2010, 06:52 PM)Master of The Universe Wrote: As long as SCRIPT and I/FRAME tags are disallowed from the use, there is nothing that can damage the site... I think...

Basiclly every code that uses a SRC attribute, including IMG, LINK and few others..

But you also don't need these tags, there is a myCode for images... and so on...
The ability to style those elements with CSS will give the poster some "uniqueness" so to say... We will be able to design our Posts not just simply bold a text here and underline it there...

It is most probably disallowed on most site, because it can get hard to control it...
I mean... If I would post something like this;
Code:
<div style="width:100%;height:100%;position:absolute;top:0;left:0;z-index:1000;background:#000000;"></div>

Everyone would see a Black page, because the div is set to be 100% 100% in size and also the most top element z-index...
Therefor the user would not be able to browser further without pressing the Back button...

But z-index and position values are not needed in posts, PHP can take care of it easy...
Can't you just limit the HTML to span only within the post area?
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.
.::The Rights of Man::.
(02-01-2010, 06:01 AM)Аноним Интерфейс Wrote: Can't you just limit the HTML to span only within the post area?

Yes that can be done, if the above DIV can't use position property inside of style attribute, it would be as big as the post body...
I do not support this idea at all. Imo, it has the ability to make the forums look sloppy and un-organised.
At the top will be the same place you hang from.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion : View Your Posts Kotto*N[ix]mouth 12 1,733 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Last Post: ScripT
  Suggestion]HF Award [Suggestion lil weezy baby 20 5,440 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Solidus
  [Suggestion] Usergroup for registered people after ~700 posts Reality 15 2,535 10-29-2010, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Sam
  [Suggestion] Poster Award [/Suggestion] Sam 16 3,850 10-01-2010, 04:22 AM
Last Post: DAMINK™
  [SUGGESTION] MOTM [/SUGGESTION] Sam 21 3,182 08-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Sam