Poll: C++ or Python?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Python
28.57%
8 28.57%
C++
71.43%
20 71.43%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C++ Vs Python?
Judging by these responses, both language are very good. If someone (like me) wanted wanted to learn both of these languages (eventually), which should I start with and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?
(03-10-2010, 11:12 PM)Fallacy Wrote: Judging by these responses, both language are very good. If someone (like me) wanted wanted to learn both of these languages (eventually), which should I start with and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

I think that questions deserves it's own thread entirely but most people point beginners to python. If you have no prior programming experience python is great because of the clear straight forward syntax. Although if you want to learn both I would say C++ because now that python has spoiled me I find it impossible to deal with C syntax.
[Image: izsyo6.jpg]

(03-11-2010, 06:32 PM)uber1337 Wrote: I think that questions deserves it's own thread entirely but most people point beginners to python. If you have no prior programming experience python is great because of the clear straight forward syntax. Although if you want to learn both I would say C++ because now that python has spoiled me I find it impossible to deal with C syntax.
Well, from what I've heard, if you learn Python first, it makes you lazy. While on the other hand, if you learn C++, it will make learning other languages a lot either. That and supposedly C++ is supposedly "x" amount more powerful, but more complicated, while Python is easy and relatively powerful. Another question, what things are each language most commonly used for?
(03-11-2010, 06:32 PM)uber1337 Wrote: I think that questions deserves it's own thread entirely but most people point beginners to python. If you have no prior programming experience python is great because of the clear straight forward syntax. Although if you want to learn both I would say C++ because now that python has spoiled me I find it impossible to deal with C syntax.

I still think that if you have no programming background. It is nice to learn the concepts with easy syntax (Python) in stead of a more difficult one (C++)
I see. I guess I will learn Python then, thanks. Are there any good tutorials that you recommend?
(03-11-2010, 09:33 PM)Fallacy Wrote: I see. I guess I will learn Python then, thanks. Are there any good tutorials that you recommend?

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

(11-03-2009, 02:02 AM)Fail Ninja Wrote: I think python be because it is a lot easier and the syntax is easier than C++, but python is almost as powerful ( This is just my opinion as a beginner in python and some who tried C++ and quit).

Another reason is here is the hello world for Python -
Code:
Print " Hello World! "

And here is Hello World for C++ -
Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
void main()
{
  cout << "Hello World!" << endl;    
}

I also think that if you start with C++ you will get frustrated quickly and quit programming quickly.

Just my Opinion.
Well the core of the C++ program is
Code:
cout << "Hello World!";
The rest is just the standard things that come with compiled languages.
To be fair, the C++ Hello World program can be short as well, although it isn't very readable and I'm sure its looked down upon.
Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main () { cout << "Hello World!"; return 0; }

I'll just stick with C++, I don't got time to explain.
(11-02-2009, 12:04 PM)bsdpunk Wrote: I would be remiss to actually compare these two. Being as C++ and Python aren't really for the same things. I wouldn't create a web app in c++ and I wouldn't make a 400,000 loc project in python. I mean yes, you can do both, with both. But I just don't think you can compare the two.

We could pretty much end the thread at that.
[Image: nv70ad.png]
Terrorcore, unleash, extermination
Hyper real, cold blood, determination
fudge them, I like this sensation
Incredible, I from the annihilation
Python.

I have been learning python and C++ lately and have found that they can be quite similar. You have lots of time to learn C++, start with a basic language first.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  C++, C , Python Equinøx 17 2,494 04-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Detective RooTz