Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7's Unfixable Glitch
(10-05-2009, 02:34 PM)St0rmW1nd Wrote: I'm sure Microsoft is looking for a fix before it released the final version which it will give to the computer companys.

The final release is already out to MSDN account holders and schools and has been for the past 2 months.
(10-05-2009, 02:37 PM)R3c0nn1ssanc3 Wrote: yall seem to have a lot of confidence in the company that released vista.

although I will admit that other than this glitch they have done a great job on the OS

Vista was a great OS for powerful computers, there were some glitches, but I still like it Smile
(10-05-2009, 03:00 PM)St0rmW1nd Wrote: Vista was a great OS for powerful computers, there were some glitches, but I still like it Smile

I agree.

People shouldn't have expected so much out of their sub-par computers that were barely running XP. Vista is a decent operating system.
[Image: MreGSXsigcopy.png]

I have this to say... That guy must be an idiot then. I am not saying that the security problem isn't there (Haven't heard anything till now, for all we know, it might just be a ploy to scare people away from upgrading because Windows 7 is awesome, and they know it Tongue) but NOTHING and I mean NOTHING is unfixable. The problem wasn't there in Vista, why would it be in Windows 7 and not Vista, after all, Windows 7 is Windows 6.1 in reality, it has just been majorly tweaked (Windows Vista is 6.0).

Another thing, it would not be impossible to detect. The program which would install itself would be detectable through heuristics or whatever else anti-virus programs use. Second of all, the software could not install itself without your permission because of UAC. This time, I doubt people will totally shut off UAC, they might tone it down, but to install new applications (even viruses/malware, which was the idea of UAC, to stop things from occurring so easily) you would need to click Continue.
(10-05-2009, 03:48 PM)aldo Wrote: I have this to say... That guy must be an idiot then. I am not saying that the security problem isn't there (Haven't heard anything till now, for all we know, it might just be a ploy to scare people away from upgrading because Windows 7 is awesome, and they know it Tongue) but NOTHING and I mean NOTHING is unfixable. The problem wasn't there in Vista, why would it be in Windows 7 and not Vista, after all, Windows 7 is Windows 6.1 in reality, it has just been majorly tweaked (Windows Vista is 6.0).

Another thing, it would not be impossible to detect. The program which would install itself would be detectable through heuristics or whatever else anti-virus programs use. Second of all, the software could not install itself without your permission because of UAC. This time, I doubt people will totally shut off UAC, they might tone it down, but to install new applications (even viruses/malware, which was the idea of UAC, to stop things from occurring so easily) you would need to click Continue.

I understand that UAC was meant to protect the user, but it's just way too annoying. I'd rather just rely on my AV and firewall than have to deal with that dumb feature.

It wouldn't be so bad if it had a "remember" option, that would remember programs and publishers that you've allowed in the past. Similar to many firewalls.

Have you even tried dimming it down in the Control Panel? Last I checked, you can set it so it only does it for installing new programs, which is down right essential. You have to think, antivirus programs can only go so far. The end user must watch out for themselves, because the viruses and what not those programs look out for are there 99% of the time because someone else was attacked, unless you protect yourself by watching what programs attempt to install themselves on your computer, you could be the next to contribute to the definitions of a security program. I am quite sure, you, nor anyone else, would want such a thing.
(10-05-2009, 03:56 PM)aldo Wrote: Have you even tried dimming it down in the Control Panel? Last I checked, you can set it so it only does it for installing new programs, which is down right essential. You have to think, antivirus programs can only go so far. The end user must watch out for themselves, because the viruses and what not those programs look out for are there 99% of the time because someone else was attacked, unless you protect yourself by watching what programs attempt to install themselves on your computer, you could be the next to contribute to the definitions of a security program. I am quite sure, you, nor anyone else, would want such a thing.

I just don't see how it could be useful to me. My firewall won't let anything access the internet without my permission. Plus it remembers what I allow. Smile

And about the install thing, windows already has a prevention for that. "Run" or "Don't Run".

That isn't true at all. That program which could install itself would be able to modify your firewall settings and allow itself access to the internet itself. Your firewall could potentially already allow that program access to the internet anyways... It could go through HTTP.

You mean Run or Save? That isn't a security precaution, it is giving you a choice.
(10-05-2009, 04:03 PM)aldo Wrote: You mean Run or Save? That isn't a security precaution, it is giving you a choice.

And UAC isn't?

Besides, I run all suspicioius files in a sandbox before I do anything.

UAC is a security precaution because it asks you if you want to give the program administrative permission. If you have UAC on, and you click Run in a download dialog, it still must go through the UAC if it is on.

They sound close, but UAC is above all others, all programs need permission from the UAC to run, if on, of course.