Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet discconects every hour!
I had a similar problem, is this wifi or wired connection? and if it is wifi try using wired for an hour or two and tell me that disconnects too, once you tell me the outcome of the I can assist you.
I also had this problem but it was because of a "Download Booster" which I found out was totally useless.
Download booster programs usually don't do much good. They either fudge up your IP settings or screw up your internet.

I'd call your ISP and just deal with them. It's possible there's interference on the wire or it got spliced by digging or something similar...
(10-05-2009, 01:50 PM)CryptoSoldier Wrote: I had that same problem once. It wasn't a problem with the modem, it was a problem with the outside lines. Call your ISP, keep complaining about the problem and demand that someone comes out to look at the lines. I know you already called, but make sure someone looks at the OUTSIDE lines.

that sounds like it, someone came to my house to fix it but did a shitty job so now my internet is a little better but it disconnects about every 30-40 minutes sometimes even less its pretty random. and it doesn't come back instantly its usually out from anywhere between 10 minutes - an hour.
(10-05-2009, 01:12 PM)miketh2005 Wrote: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

Hi, I'm having a problem with the internet. I'm running windows xp and Dell C521, with Cavalier DSL (cavtel.com) as my ISP, Zhone modem, model number 6381-A3-200, and I am connected to a NETGEAR router, but that doesn't matter much, because I tried connected right from my modem to my computer, bypassing my router, and it still disconnects, so it's not the router.

Every hour my connection to the internet just shuts off and comes back on almost instantly, maybe 5 seconds. So lets say I get on my computer at 11:27 AM it will cut off at 12:27 PM, 1:27 PM, 2:27 PM, etc. But, if I come on my computer at 11:55 AM, then it will cut off at 12:55 PM, etc.

It comes back on right after. This isn't a problem when it comes to browsing the web and whatnot. It affects my gaming, streaming, downloading, uploading, and instant messaging greatly, though. When I'm in an online game, I always disconnect at the hour.

Can anyone help me fix this problem? Or explain to me what the problem actually is?

I have tried going into my NIC and un-checking all the options in the power managment tab, still doesn't work. My lease expires 1 day from when it got it, not every hour. I tried updating my LAN driver, same thing, i even tried disabling my security suite. Contacted Cavalier, and they couldnt find anything remotely, they came to my house and the tech thought it was the security system in my house, but it was on another line, then he unplugged a phone in the basement, shrugged, said to call them back if your still experiencing problems, when he barely did anything, and left.:angry:

Please help. Thanks. SadUnsure

as others have said..this sounds like an ISP problem, not computer related.

I'd call cavalier and see if they'll run a homerun (wire your dsl modem directly into the NID) which will improve your speeds and reliability some. I also think that method will allow you to remove the line filters from every telephone in your house..if not, you could also ask if they can install a NID line filter.
this is DEFINITELY going to be the BEST support forum on the net! i have asked this question on other support forums, the most i got was 1 reply, which was just a guy saying he had the same problem. i figured this site is new, but what the heck, lets try it, and i get almost 3 pages worth of replies! WOW! thanks alot guys, my computer is plugged into the modem by an ethernet cable. my laptop usally runs off my wifi netgear router linked to my dsl modem. i will try and connect the modem DIRECTLY to my laptop with the ethernet cable from my desktop and see if it does it there. thanks, will get back to you
That's annoying, especially if it happens every hour. I had the same problem but it was because i didn't use a phone filter/splitter to all the phones in the house and it would drop out every now and then, usually when the phone was in use
This happened all the time to me when I had a Netgear router, I since bought a Belkin and found that the problem has stopped. I wouldn't be so sure that it isn't the router, or possibly something wrong with the modem?

I could only suggest contacting your ISP (internet service provider), these are the people that you have bought your internet off, such as Virgin.
Check your phone or internet filters