Support Forums

Full Version: Internet discconects every hour!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

Hi, I'm having a problem with the internet. I'm running windows xp and Dell C521, with Cavalier DSL (cavtel.com) as my ISP, Zhone modem, model number 6381-A3-200, and I am connected to a NETGEAR router, but that doesn't matter much, because I tried connected right from my modem to my computer, bypassing my router, and it still disconnects, so it's not the router.

Every hour my connection to the internet just shuts off and comes back on almost instantly, maybe 5 seconds. So lets say I get on my computer at 11:27 AM it will cut off at 12:27 PM, 1:27 PM, 2:27 PM, etc. But, if I come on my computer at 11:55 AM, then it will cut off at 12:55 PM, etc.

It comes back on right after. This isn't a problem when it comes to browsing the web and whatnot. It affects my gaming, streaming, downloading, uploading, and instant messaging greatly, though. When I'm in an online game, I always disconnect at the hour.

Can anyone help me fix this problem? Or explain to me what the problem actually is?

I have tried going into my NIC and un-checking all the options in the power managment tab, still doesn't work. My lease expires 1 day from when it got it, not every hour. I tried updating my LAN driver, same thing, i even tried disabling my security suite. Contacted Cavalier, and they couldnt find anything remotely, they came to my house and the tech thought it was the security system in my house, but it was on another line, then he unplugged a phone in the basement, shrugged, said to call them back if your still experiencing problems, when he barely did anything, and left.:angry:

Please help. Thanks. SadUnsure
:S i really don't know what is the problem

http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html
Try that
I had that same problem once. It wasn't a problem with the modem, it was a problem with the outside lines. Call your ISP, keep complaining about the problem and demand that someone comes out to look at the lines. I know you already called, but make sure someone looks at the OUTSIDE lines.
It doesn't really sound like a problem that we can help you with Sad You just need to bug your ISP till they do something. I actually have a similar problem, although the intervals are random. It is greatly annoying; I realise your pain. However, it doesn't really affect my downloading, because whenever my 'net comes back up, I instantly start downloading again anyway. But, when randomly getting disconnected from Windows Live Messenger is an every day occurence, then it's a problem :b
I know this is not The most "Ethical way" but everytime i have a Serious problem with my isp i called them and act really aggressive (note that agressive is not INSULTING or SHOUTING, Just with an agressive attitude they will try to do the best to help you, if they not, ask them to get with the Manager in charge, they cannot demand you or cut your service or do anything to you if you treat them with respect)

I always do it agressively and works

Tip: always ask the operator name
that will give you a point
I have no idea what this is. Maybe try connecting from a different computer and see if it happens on that one as well. If it would be easy for you reformat could solve the problem.
It is most definitely your ISP. I had this program except worse before. My internet would disconnect every 5 minutes and then reconnect. I tried a new modem / Ethernet cable and it was still disconnecting. I finally called Verizon and I switched to Fios.
As I was just eating dinner, I thought about this post, and realized, if this is just happening today or for only the past lets say 2 days, it could be line noise. Is there a storm right now? Rainy weather? Crappy weather for the past 2 days? That could do it aswell, although the exact 1 hour intervals make me think it is not line noise...but just saying xD
Hm.. Maybe a program on your PC is disconnecting and connecting the router? Any network speed booster/monitors might do that.
Do I understand right that you connected with a cable and not wireless? Also is there any other PC/Laptop connected that you can monitor to see if the same thing happens? If you could test your connection on another system then you can single out if its the system or something else, get back to me.
Thanks.
Pages: 1 2