Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Is Vb.net worth it to learn?
(09-12-2011, 03:09 PM)Laugh Wrote: So don't give advice like that lol

Like what? I just stated it was easy to pick up and learn about it (to me). I don't see anything wrong with that. lol
(09-12-2011, 03:09 PM)Laugh Wrote: So don't give advice like that lol

VB.net is worth learning if you're just starting out. It gives you a good idea of proper syntax habits.
(09-12-2011, 03:17 PM)SaNƹ Wrote: Like what? I just stated it was easy to pick up and learn about it (to me). I don't see anything wrong with that. lol

See below.

(09-12-2011, 03:30 PM)Ace Wrote: VB.net is worth learning if you're just starting out. It gives you a good idea of proper syntax habits.

I disagree. Learn python, pearl, or php for that. Definitely not VB.Net.

VB "coders" tend to end up copy/pasting source codes and combining them. Especially if you come from Hack Forums. He'll get stuck, ask on HF, and they'll link him to a thread teaching him how to do it..but instead of teaching how it works he'll just copy the source code and release "his new program."

OP, you can learn it. Go ahead. But you'll never be a good coder without a lot of work if you start with VB. It teaches you bad habits.
(09-12-2011, 03:34 PM)Laugh Wrote: See below.

(09-12-2011, 03:30 PM)Ace Wrote: VB.net is worth learning if you're just starting out. It gives you a good idea of proper syntax habits.

I disagree. Learn python, pearl, or php for that. Definitely not VB.Net.

VB "coders" tend to end up copy/pasting source codes and combining them. Especially if you come from Hack Forums. He'll get stuck, ask on HF, and they'll link him to a thread teaching him how to do it..but instead of teaching how it works he'll just copy the source code and release "his new program."

OP, you can learn it. Go ahead. But you'll never be a good coder without a lot of work if you start with VB. It teaches you bad habits.

Perl is not a GUI language, and it's not anything similar to C/C#/C++ if that's the road you want to go. If you suggest perl instead I would recommend learning PHP. If you know PHP you can easily adapt to Perl later on since the syntax is almost identical. Perl allows for threading though. If you want a multi-os-compatible language, it's better to go with Delphi, or Java for example. There are others too. C++ included if you stick with standard and not VisualC++

You're making an assumption about the coders which influences your view on the language though. That should be your opinion about skid coders, but not the language itself. The only downside to VB.net is that it's required a .Net framework, meaning you can't really run it on other operating systems.

VB.net doesn't teach you bad habits, you teach yourself bad habits. You can copy any code out there if that's your reason for VB.net being a bad language.
Hmm..that does make sense but you even mentioned it is a GUI language. How does that not suggest "do it for you?" I can literally drag and drop some apps and "coded my own program."
(09-12-2011, 03:41 PM)Laugh Wrote: Hmm..that does make sense but you even mentioned it is a GUI language. How does that not suggest "do it for you?" I can literally drag and drop some apps and "coded my own program."

What do you mean? VB.net is a GUI language, but something like perl isn't. The only thing it does for you is create it's own controls from the library to save time. Any other bad habits you have from programming in VB.net should be blamed on yourself. Just like in any other language. You still are required to create their functions otherwise they don't do anything, whether you copy and paste it or think of it up on your own. Intellisense will also help you remember and get you into the habit of proper syntax which is why I'd recommend it for beginner coders.

If you suggest that Intellisense is basically automating a copy and paste method, then it can be turned off if you're familiar with syntax, but i'd suggest beginners using it anyway to get in the habit of proper syntax to start.
I have to agree with Ace. Bad habits come from the programmer and not the language. Everyone has their own opinion on this, so advice given can't really be considered wrong.
It is very use full.
I recommend learning it.
VB generates a bad habit if you decide to move to other programming languages, i'd suggest learn C# or C++.
Would suggest you to learn C#. It will make it easyer for you to move onto C/C++ because it got some of the same syntax.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Want to learn VB Fravras 5 1,272 03-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Matijasevic
  [Need Help Badly]-- What is the best way to learn? ): hackopz 8 1,479 10-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Last Post: XDarkCoder
  What will I accomplish if I learn VB n00bikscube 7 2,046 04-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Cronus
  [VB.net]Learn WPF [WPF Tutorial] ThePrinCe 1 1,175 12-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Last Post: HostGap
  Wanting to Actually Learn VB.NET Professor Oak 8 1,343 12-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Last Post: HostGap