Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does a full format take?
I recently decided to encrypt the data on my external HDD but I ran into some errors because of some bad sectors and I had to quit. Unfortunately, quitting left my HDD in a RAW file system format so I just decided to do a full format because that will fix all the bad sectors and restore my HDD to good as new. (I have all my data backed up.)

I started the full format process and it has been running for close to thirty hours now. Windows doesn't give you an estimated remaining time or anything during a reformat, just this:
[Image: qxryw0.jpg]
Based on my crude process of measuring the distance of the solid part of the bar and comparing it to the total bar I calculated that it will take about 7 days to reformat the hdd. Is this reasonable?

specs
HDD
These are the specs for the HDD
PC specs
  • 3 GB RAM
  • 1.66 GHz intel cpu
  • win 7
You're just trying to reinstall Windows?
(06-27-2011, 12:56 PM)BLX Wrote: You're just trying to reinstall Windows?

No, I am trying to format a hard drive. It is external.
You can't do anything about it, all you have to do is to wait.In the past when I had 166GB on HDD,I had to wait about 1 hour and a half to format, and this HDD was internal.I guess the externals format in a longer time.
Depending on the computer, it varies.
It could take a little 5 minutes, or it could take a couple of hours.
(06-28-2011, 08:40 PM)Black Ghost Wrote: Depending on the computer, it varies.
It could take a little 5 minutes, or it could take a couple of hours.

Exactly! I have a pretty good computer so it takes me like 20 minutes for a 500 GB HDD
A drive that size can take days.

Also try Drive Wipe which comes with ccleaner.
Superman I am here to rescue you.
This is Support Forums not Support PMs.  Do not PM me for support unless it's private and site related.
(06-29-2011, 03:11 PM)Omniscient Wrote: A drive that size can take days.

Also try Drive Wipe which comes with ccleaner.

Again all depending on PC spec but if you take a look at the CPU OP has and in case he doesn't use the PC while he formats it could take him a week time!
Jeez, alright. All I can do is wait. I am so impatient. The power better not go out or anything. haha
takes anywhere near 4-8 hours

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help : format ibm t30 killer_03 5 1,985 02-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Last Post: killer_03
  Format Factory - Multifunctional Media Converter MyFolder 1 754 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Last Post: T0x1c
  How to format a USB / external harddrive. MarkW7 7 1,571 12-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Last Post: MarkW7