Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
☺ The Top of the Line Top 5 Anti-Viruses Around Town ☺
There's no real conflictions between what MBAM needs to do on your system and a full time scanner, but I would definitely go with Norton on that one. The firewall in that thing has been unbeatable in my opinion. ESET will just block everything out, regardless, but if you want false-positives around a method to keep your system secure 25-30% of the time then ESET isn't bad. In the end it's still about security...

You have an i5, but you run 2GB RAM on a 32 bit Win7? lol, if you were to upgrade your RAM by a bit you'd notice a speed difference, I would consider 2GB minimum on 32 bit Windows 7, and 4GB Minimum on Windows 7 to actually reap the benefits of what that OS has to offer. Otherwise you won't notice any of the real performance it has to give.
The OS is genuine which came with the purchase. I could just go with 64-bit Professional if I'm going pirated, but I need genuine because I'm about to go to the States this October.

I'm planning to do an upgrade on RAM though. I'm planning a 6GB, and if I have someone who could install me a genuine 64-bit, it would be lovely because as far as I know, 32 bit can only handle 4GB.

Btw, I already have Comodo as my firewall. It might conflict with Norton. What's your stand in this?
[Image: 999d53.png]
‹Affordable • High Quality • Friendly Service›
‹Signatures • Banners • Thread Designs • Company Logos›

(08-16-2011, 07:26 AM)Retrotiger Wrote: The OS is genuine which came with the purchase. I could just go with 64-bit Professional if I'm going pirated, but I need genuine because I'm about to go to the States this October.

I'm planning to do an upgrade on RAM though. I'm planning a 6GB, and if I have someone who could install me a genuine 64-bit, it would be lovely because as far as I know, 32 bit can only handle 4GB.

Btw, I already have Comodo as my firewall. It might conflict with Norton. What's your stand in this?

If you have genuine, don't go with pirated, I couldn't advise you on pirated versions of windows on this forum due to the terms here, however I would say just stick with your 32 bit anyway. 64 bit is definitely beneficial for lots of reasons, especially for my heavy computer use, but it depends on the user as well. If you're not a gamer, don't get a $500 graphics card, if you barely use the internet, don't get a 50Mbps + connection speed, it's all the same principles here unless you have money to burn.

And that's true, 4GB is the limit for 32 bit versions of Windows 7, unless you run Windows Starter which would be 2GB Memory. I'm on a 64 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate though so my limit ends at an amazing 192 GB lol Smile I currently only have 8GB though, and i'm thinking about 12 or 16 possibly... I couldn't imagine where you would go or the price you'd have to pay to buy RAM cards that hold 192/4 approx GB though to get anywhere near that maximum. I only have 4 RAM sockets.

Amazingly, if you have Windows Server, they have a limit of around just over 500GB memory.
Hmm. The main purpose of my laptop is graphics. I don't play any heavy games unless you consider Marvel vs. Capcom 2 heavy. My graphic card is nVIDIA GEFORCE 310M Cuda 1GB which suffice my art.

So my limit right now is 4GB. Isn't it that a genuine copy of Windows can hold 3 computers/IPs? Also, I'm on Windows Home Basic.

Do you have MSN/AIM? I would really love to talk to you.

(08-16-2011, 07:41 AM)Retrotiger Wrote: Hmm. The main purpose of my laptop is graphics. I don't play any heavy games unless you consider Marvel vs. Capcom 2 heavy. My graphic card is nVIDIA GEFORCE 310M Cuda 1GB which suffice my art.

So my limit right now is 4GB. Isn't it that a genuine copy of Windows can hold 3 computers/IPs? Also, I'm on Windows Home Basic.

Do you have MSN/AIM? I would really love to talk to you.

Quote:Isn't it that a genuine copy of Windows can hold 3 computers/IPs?

Hmm? "Internet Protocol" or something else?

I do have MSN, but I barely ever use it, I maybe go on once in about a month
Yeah. Internet Protocol.

So, what should I go with now? ESET or Norton? Given that I have MBAM and Comodo.

Depending on what you go with, it doesn't matter, my recommendation is that you go into the config and turn the firewall off for that AV, but you'll get messages saying "Your PC isn't completely secure" for just having it turned off, personally to save space on your computer, instead of running 3 things at once, I would uninstall Comodo and go with Norton for the realtime scanning and firewall for internet protection. Keeping your MBAM as a scanner on the side.

ESET has been notorious for certain BSOD's once in a while. But even more-so with other's like Avast from what I know.
Ok. I'll give a Norton a try. Smile

Avira and Kaspersky should be in the top 5 list for sure, but you've missed some already.
My list is a little bit different than your one.
Thanks for the heads up, may get Kaspersky again.
[Image: 0xWVt.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 43 Cyber Security Tools to Improve Your Network Security tk-hassan 0 652 01-29-2020, 04:00 AM
Last Post: tk-hassan
  ★ ★ ★ Top Ten FREE AntiVirus Software ★ ★ ★ Butters 129 47,312 12-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Last Post: TobyCordova
  [Explanation] Everything you MUST know about viruses [MUST read] Vexna 11 2,522 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Nickelodeon
  Top 10 antivirus software [Must have] Notorious Mental 48 12,204 05-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Last Post: VinceB
  [Tutorial]Anti anti's! bling111 3 1,549 05-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Boing7898