Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
☺ The Top of the Line Top 5 Anti-Viruses Around Town ☺
The Top 5 Anti-Viruses from My experience would have to be:

• Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
  • Avira AntiVir Premium (Avira Premium Security Suite)
  • ESET NOD32
  • MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (PRO) [Sideline, Secondary]
  • Microsoft Essentials

Those are the best Anti-Viruses out there, for now. Everything else is Confused well, Wacko. They all are terrible. They either use too much memory, terrible AV Scanner, annoys you about subscriptions, promotes itself too much on your computer (Roflmao) or is just over priced and is terrible with its virus database and signatures + detection rate and detecting false positives, FUDs etc...

But the question is: Which one is the best Anti-Virus?

Answers are pending between Deltron, Infinity and Quintis Big Grin {MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is the best Secondary, it goes with all of them}

We shall find out. I am telling you now though, if you don't have one of the antiviruses above stated with the bullet points, do yourself a favor. Uninstall that crapware, and install some more HQ software Oui

Discuss Guys!
Infinity Wrote:

Code:
I'm still a Norton 360 (2010 version or 2011 version only), and a BitDefender fan. Both have the top rated detection rates as of 2010. BitDefender is still at the top of the list, but Norton is the most user friendly when it comes to firewall, program rules, autodetection, and network trafficing rules. Microsoft Security Essentials is good as a lightweight version of an AV for a quick alternative if you can't afford either of those 2 or you can't find a way to get them free. The Norton AV is successful I believe because the community of people using that AV is everyly increasing meaning that they are usually the first developpers to get an update on malicious strings and encryptinons within programs. Therefore they usually come out with the newest defense against newer intrusions.

As for Kaspersky, it's been fairly decent for me with my experience with it. Fairly customizable, but maintains good detection rates as well. I would recommend this as the next AV to get if you're deciding out of that list you have.

Avira and ESET NOD32... I can't really say one or the other is better, they both have their strenghts and weaknesses from what i've heard, Avira is fairly decent though. It's blocked a few things that AVG didn't when I was testing that out. AVG is a terrible piece of software as far as i'm concerned. Free version or not, they don't have their intrustion prevention updated to todays society in computer infections and intrusions. ESET is pretty well rounded though.

Hope that clears some things up for you.
{Posted without Infinity's Consent}{I Am So Cool}

Deltron Says:
Code:
I would suggest Kaspersky or Avira. If you want a more accurate decision, talk to Quintus. Tell him what operating system your using, which service pack, your internet usage, and any other relevant information. You can't go wrong with your choices. To add to the list, Avast! is also a decent Antivirus program. Here's a quick excerpt for each of the Antivirus programs:
Avast! Pro Antivirus
Avast! Pro Antivirus is a full-featured antivirus software. Better than their free anti-virus, especially for web surfing, but without the firewall and anti-spam included in Avast! Internet Security. Also if you wish to customize your security, this is the recommended software.
Avira AntiVir Premium
Avira AntiVir Premium contains all the things its free version has plus real-time on-access scanning, profile-based on-demand scans and scheduling of full system scanning and updates, it offers premium protection.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 sports the fastest, most effective technology available to protect you from viruses and spyware without slowing you down while you work or play.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 – the backbone of your PC’s security system - offers protection from a range of IT threats and provides the basic tools needed to protect your PC.

Well I have never tried Norton before, and I already have Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. From my experience, it is a pretty great anti-virus (Kaspersky), except it is a true memory hog, it will, without a doubt, slow down your computer. Every single time I attempt to start Kaspersky Update up, my computer will crash if I attempt to open any programs. I really look forward to ESET NOD32 next after my stupid subscription with Kaspersky is expired and I will try Avira out. If Norton is really that great (it wasn't in 2009 at all, didn't know about the 2010-11 comeback) Sure I will try that out after Avira.

Thanks Infinity for your Response!

[Image: t5BWm.png]
I used Avira because of its high detection rate. Although when working with RATs and viruses it's very inconvenient because it picks up your own RAT as a virus so you have to shut Avira off when working with those kinds of things, It's still in my opinion the best anti virus.
(04-22-2011, 08:28 PM)Loukas Wrote: I used Avira because of its high detection rate. Although when working with RATs and viruses and very inconvenient, It's still in my opinion the best anti virus.

Your saying that it has a terrible detection when it comes to the RATs + Viruses? Please rephrase that Loukas.
[Image: t5BWm.png]
Why would you classify all other Antivirus programs as terrible? Avast! Pro Antivirus or Microsoft Security Essentials? I agree, that the five that you listed are amongst those most used, but that doesn’t mean the rest are “crapware”. It's one to say that those programs are efficient, but it's another to say that all others are inadequate.
It depends on your computer specs as to which ones will slow down your computer a lot. If you're one of the people with lots of memory to spare that wouldn't be any concern to me, I have 8GB of RAM which is fairly decent, so I just use the detection rates (updated) for each to determine which one I use instead.

Now you have my consent though Smile I don't care where you post my wording really. If I put it out there it's to be expected even if it's doubtful that it would be posted anywhere else. You never know, so I'm not the type of person who would take any action against other people doing it.

And as for viruses and other remote administration tool intrusions. It depends on the intrusion. You can't really say it's bad in general for detecting a certain virus because some AV's will detect different malicious strings than others will. Some of the best AV's don't detect some strings that the worst ones do.
Avira, and MBAM are where it's at, other than that I do enjoy seeing from 40 anti-viruses, and will scan quite a few files that I don't trust at virustotal.
Quote:Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
Avira AntiVir Premium (Avira Premium Security Suite)
ESET NOD32
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (PRO) [Sideline, Secondary]
Microsoft Essentials
These are great antiviruses. In my opinion the best is Avira or Nod32.
By the way "Microsoft Essentials" is Microsoft Security Essentials.
You are sooo wrong, and i can proof it! Eset is number 1

proof:

These are ratings which where just made. They are showing in ratings which AV is best ;)
[Image: in0rjy.gif]
Well if you want to judge by ratings and reviews, that is wrong. Take a look here:

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://www.devduff.com/software/top-ten-...s-2011.php
http://www.toptenantivirus.net/
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collectio...id_av.html

Bitdefender is at the top of the list, along with Norton and Kaspersky. The 3 that i've always liked from my experience. The lists dont mean anything though to be honest when it comes to computer security. It's based on a number of things, even though I would still say that BitDefender is the best. I didn't even look at any lists, i've just found it to be very effective with blocking out viruses and other intrusions. Same with Norton 360 2010.

G-data hardly does anything in comparison, and Norton or BitDefender has more configuration to determine what you want the AV to block and accept.
Well, don't dare post mine. My answer was very short as I thought you were just contemplating on getting one for yourself. :p

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 43 Cyber Security Tools to Improve Your Network Security tk-hassan 0 644 01-29-2020, 04:00 AM
Last Post: tk-hassan
  ★ ★ ★ Top Ten FREE AntiVirus Software ★ ★ ★ Butters 129 46,620 12-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Last Post: TobyCordova
  [Explanation] Everything you MUST know about viruses [MUST read] Vexna 11 2,463 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Nickelodeon
  Top 10 antivirus software [Must have] Notorious Mental 48 11,972 05-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Last Post: VinceB
  [Tutorial]Anti anti's! bling111 3 1,529 05-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Boing7898