Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
☺ The Top of the Line Top 5 Anti-Viruses Around Town ☺
(08-13-2011, 08:30 AM)BreShiE Wrote: In my opinion Microsoft Essentials should be no where near that list, and Malware Bytes should be nearer the top.

Essentials is actually better than you think, although I use a different program than both some of the time as a scan.
What made you say that Essentials is good? I believe that program is a pretty generic Anti-virus.
[Image: 999d53.png]
‹Affordable • High Quality • Friendly Service›
‹Signatures • Banners • Thread Designs • Company Logos›

(08-13-2011, 09:58 AM)Retrotiger Wrote: What made you say that Essentials is good? I believe that program is a pretty generic Anti-virus.

Because it's fast for a scanner, and Microsoft probably stole a lot of string'd data for the database they built that thing with being as they have access to lots of user information. They could probably built a top notch AV even better than this if they wanted to. It's great for a scanner. Better than AVG and most other AV's I can think up. But I would say others have better firewall's.
Malware bytes can't really be said to be an antivirus. It's great protection though.

Avast is a good one as well - Both free and premium.

I personally use Avira and Avast (No not at the same time), but for scanners I use Malware bytes, and Eset as my main 2 =p
Ace, if you were to choose from the free anti-virus programs, which one are you going with?

Thanks for this, i don't even use one i only use sand box :/ But yeah i have to infest in soon.
Quote:1) Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
3) Avira AntiVir Premium (Avira Premium Security Suite)
2) ESET NOD32
*MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (PRO) [Sideline, Secondary]
**Microsoft Essentials

• Personally I think Avira, and ESET are tied, for different reasons, ESET provides good protection, but their scanning abilities aren't 100% accurate when you take into account how many false positives that AV generates. Although if it's a false positive, better being secure than missing a couple files that are actually unsafe.
• Kaskpersky is one of the best as of 2011, so I'd say it would be my top. Good detection rates, and it beat a lot of other AV's from quite a few tests in various reputable reviews i've read.
* - I would consider this more of a scanner for use.
** - This program is good for a local scanner, but the firewall isn't that great
KIS ain't very resource-friendly though. I tried it before and it really slowed the hell out of my computer.

I used The Shield before, it was really good. Same company/anti-virus base like BitDefender I believe.

(08-15-2011, 04:26 PM)Retrotiger Wrote: KIS ain't very resource-friendly though. I tried it before and it really slowed the hell out of my computer.

I used The Shield before, it was really good. Same company/anti-virus base like BitDefender I believe.

Bitdefender and Norton are great, But I would use Norton over Bitdefender if you're worried about computer resources being used up (only If you can get your hands on 2010/2011 versions). I personally enjoy Norton 360.

And it depends how much RAM you have on your computer, I have 8GB RAM so I don't notice anything, I have an extra couple Mb's to spare for an AV running in the background, and you can't beat security over resource use if you can give up a little bit of your memory for it.
Here's the specs of my computer:

2GB RAM
Intel Core i5 M460 @ 2.53GHZ
32-bit
Windows 7

Since both Norton and ESET are resource-friendly, which one would stack better with MBAM?

Also, what do you think about those Tune-up programs?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 43 Cyber Security Tools to Improve Your Network Security tk-hassan 0 652 01-29-2020, 04:00 AM
Last Post: tk-hassan
  ★ ★ ★ Top Ten FREE AntiVirus Software ★ ★ ★ Butters 129 47,321 12-19-2014, 05:21 AM
Last Post: TobyCordova
  [Explanation] Everything you MUST know about viruses [MUST read] Vexna 11 2,522 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Nickelodeon
  Top 10 antivirus software [Must have] Notorious Mental 48 12,207 05-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Last Post: VinceB
  [Tutorial]Anti anti's! bling111 3 1,552 05-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Boing7898