Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling All Coders in All Coding Languages [Now Accepting Contestants]
(04-12-2011, 10:09 PM)KoBE Wrote: That's kind of what I was trying to say. I like the idea of getting everyone involved. That'd be easy too.. just make a poll and voila.

That's what I was thinking too. Why split SF when you can make a gathered effort to host the contest? It would increase the activity and give awareness and recognition to the coders on SF as well.
Will the coders be releasing their source too?
I can't participate until after summer with all my university assignments and exams. Smile
I'll judge if you want though.
The judges should pick the theme.
[Image: burninglove4.png]
(04-13-2011, 06:15 AM)Untouch Wrote: Will the coders be releasing their source too?
I can't participate until after summer with all my university assignments and exams. Smile

I think the contestants should release the source (with comments).. 1) it helps prove they did the work. 2) it will help other people by having it.
(04-13-2011, 06:20 AM)KoBE Wrote: I think the contestants should release the source (with comments).. 1) it helps prove they did the work. 2) it will help other people by having it.

That's what I was thinking exactly. Smile

Although their can be advantages and disadvantages if people are using different languages as depending on the subject the contest will be about things can be done easier and better with different languages.
(04-13-2011, 06:23 AM)Untouch Wrote: That's what I was thinking exactly. Smile

Although their can be advantages and disadvantages if people are using different languages as depending on the subject the contest will be about things can be done easier and better with different languages.

I thought about that too, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. Besides, if it's a windows form application then PHP coders are out... unless they know more languages. But if there were enough PHP coders wanting to participate, then we can do one of those. I'd be down for anything really.
(04-13-2011, 06:15 AM)Untouch Wrote: Will the coders be releasing their source too?

No, having judges of a select few is a bad idea. It should be the general SF community consisting or any random members that want to vote.
Nah the judges should pick, they should all be coders so would know suitable theme's to choose.
You can have judges votes count as 50% of the marks and the general SF community 50%.
That way a suitable winner will be picked.
(04-13-2011, 07:57 AM)Untouch Wrote: Nah the judges should pick, they should all be coders so would know suitable theme's to choose.
You can have judges votes count as 50% of the marks and the general SF community 50%.
That way a suitable winner will be picked.

Usually the judges of any more known windows program aren't the coders however. They are the average computer user. Think of how many people use IE or Firefox, and make an estimate of how many of them are coders... The coders should be IN the competition, not judging it. There's nothing wrong with having other SF members judge the work. It should be judged on performance, functionality, and visual anyway.

That way we get more of the SF forum members involved. Things aren't separated into different groups.
(04-13-2011, 08:00 AM)Infinity Wrote: Usually the judges of any more known windows program aren't the coders however. They are the average computer user. Think of how many people use IE or Firefox, and make an estimate of how many of them are coders... The coders should be IN the competition, not judging it. There's nothing wrong with having other SF members judge the work. It should be judged on performance, functionality, and visual anyway.

That way we get more of the SF forum members involved. Things aren't separated into different groups.
QFT....

For real, you guys talk way too much on this subject, stop talking and do something.
I'm a PHP/JS/Python coder (sorted by skill), so a contest in one of those 3 languages would be something I would enter. You really need to come up with something, stop posting non-sence and do something....
(04-13-2011, 08:08 AM)Gaijin Wrote: QFT....

For real, you guys talk way too much on this subject, stop talking and do something.
I'm a PHP/JS/Python coder (sorted by skill), so a contest in one of those 3 languages would be something I would enter. You really need to come up with something, stop posting non-sence and do something....

Although I agree you saying that we should come up with something, I disagree with you on the point that any of the previous posts are 'non-sense'. Getting feedback from different members is far from non-sense. If anyone were to list the previous posts in order of relevance.. I'm positive yours would be considered the least constructive. However, thanks for the feedback any ways. It's a start. Thumbsup

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SF Coders - Icon Changer - Project 1 Arron XR 14 3,929 09-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Last Post: malis2007
  [SF Coders]Imageshack.Us Image Scraper ★Cooldude★ 7 2,794 08-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Last Post: ★Cooldude★
  [SF Coders] Grabbing an Icon from a File and Saving! [TUT] milopeach 13 3,213 05-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Last Post: OnyxDev
  [SF Coders] Password Generator ★Cooldude★ 23 10,791 03-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Last Post: AceInfinity
  [SF Coders] Converting between SteamID's and Friend Profile ID's milopeach 5 2,132 02-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Denny Crane