Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chances of overheating?
I have a ASUS notebook with Intel Dual Core processor. I need to run a program that loads the proc at ~80% and I need to run it all night. So is there a danger of overheating? I know there is some protection in the BIOS that shuts it down if it reaches a certain temperature but can I rely on this?
Never overclock a notebook. Do you have any kind of outside cooling? I wouldn't do this. It's risky.
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
-JFK

Yes you can rely on it. The internal BIOS is quite good at doing this. As the temperature will slowly rise. You should be fine.
I wouldn't suggest it. UNLESS you have some alternate cooling that is cooling from the outside.
You should be fine. Though, as a precaution try pointing a fan at the intake fans of the laptop. Also, try using it on a desk, rather than on top of cloth or surface that creates heat easily.
(03-26-2011, 04:01 PM)Deltron Wrote: You should be fine. Though, as a precaution try pointing a fan at the intake fans of the laptop. Also, try using it on a desk, rather than on top of cloth or surface that creates heat easily.

I would even try to raise it on 4 posts of some kind just to get an airflow underneath the system. Netbooks aren't designed for heat dissipating very well, so I would say this would be pretty risky.

Do you not have a desktop computer that you can use instead for this program? Assuming there's a sufficient powerful cooling fan in the back for a good airflow to cool down the computer.
If you are going to do this, don't close your lid either. A lot of heat is dispersed from your keyboard.
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
-JFK

I wouldn't consider it because it can put your computer at risk, if thats a problem you may want to get a better cooling device. Another solution is to keep your computer running in a cooler enviorment and maybe have a fan at it all night, that could only help!
use a cooling pad for better temps.
I have been thinking about it. Don't do it, your crap is going to blow up.