Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Status Updates and Profile Comments?
I am leaving for my brother's birthday dinner soon...and this unoriginal idea hit me. Why don't we have status updates on our profile? And then I thought why don't we have profile comments?

Support Forums has turned into a community. There are members posting daily, but only a semi-large set keeps on posting. We are a community, and should socialize like one. I talk to some members here outside of SF, but why should I when we can do it on SF.

I know there is a plugin for both (last time I checked) and it'd be pretty neat! I'm not asking for that Facebook integration BS, but a better way to socialize with eachother.

I'll find the links to the plugins if you guys like the idea.
I don't think it's needed to be honest. Members can use the PM system for chatting with each other.
By status updates do you mean like Facebook has? It would be an interesting addition, although I think adding too many user abilities can make forums look slightly less professional.
Yes, sort of like Facebook. Invision Power Board (ipb) has similar features built in.

I see what you're getting at with the professionalism. It'd only show on their profile. Perhaps it show the last two, and people can comment on the status rather than having profile comments?
Or rather than commenting on the status, simply have a "Like" button. But again, it would be too much like Facebook, and not very professional for the kind of forum this is.

Good to see people keeping the suggestions coming though.
I don't think it'd degrade the professionalism SF has developed. Maybe make it visible only to people with x amount of rep/posts....or only to members?
Are you not satisfied with the away status?
Sort of like a comment system on a profile page? I know I've seen that in IPB, not quite sure about MyBB though.
(03-26-2011, 12:42 PM)Pulse Wrote: Are you not satisfied with the away status?

Two different concepts.

(03-26-2011, 12:50 PM)Splodge0007 Wrote: Sort of like a comment system on a profile page? I know I've seen that in IPB, not quite sure about MyBB though.

Correct.
I was going to say I don't believe MyBB has it. I know previous forums we were on had it. Very good integration. Never have a chatbox though. It ruins post counts and is annoying as fudge.
Love you Laugh. Keep these ideas coming.
Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.
-Adolf Hitler

A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
-JFK

(03-26-2011, 01:49 PM)Codad Law Wrote: I was going to say I don't believe MyBB has it. I know previous forums we were on had it. Very good integration. Never have a chatbox though. It ruins post counts and is annoying as fudge.
Love you Laugh. Keep these ideas coming.

There is a Profile Comments plug-in for MyBB. I use one on my own forum, although it isn't very popular at all and I plan on removing it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Profile Omniscient 16 2,645 11-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Aura
  What's the status on the HJT Squad? King 14 2,823 01-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sam
  Twitter in Profile and Postbit Omniscient 13 2,345 08-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cheeseburger
  Suggestion - More Profile Options Sam 6 965 04-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Last Post: NekoChan
  Twitter field in profile RPicard 14 2,000 12-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Last Post: RPicard