Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Tutorial] Overclocking Guide
[Image: je3qdm.png]

What is overclocking?

Overclocking is the process by which you run a computer part (CPU, GPU, Memory, etc.) at a higher clock frequency than its intended speed designed for by the manufacturer. Simply put, it makes your computer run faster without having to buy any extra hardware or software.

[Image: bios_fsb_set.jpg]

What risks are involved when overclocking?
  • In most situations, overclocking your computer will void your any warranties associated with your computer. (Unless you have a custom PC, of course Tongue).
  • Due to the added heat and stress the computer part is put through, the life span is expected to be shorter.
  • Temperature of your PC, and it's parts, will be much higher than its stock temperature.

How do you overclock your processor?

Although there is a lot of software that allows you to overclock through your operating system, the safest way is through the BIOS. In doing so, enter BIOS upon startup and locate the setting for the FSB. Increase this value to your desire. You may also change the values of your memory timings and your CPU multiplier (CPU Clock Ratio). These instructions are applicable to both AMD and Intel CPU's.

Why is cooling so important when overclocking?

When overclocking any computer component, more heat is created due to more performance. Keeping it cool will result in longevity and better performance. Most users aim for a temperature below 40C at idle and below 55C at load for a CPU.

To keep temperatures low, try some of the following:
  • Reducing the clutter of messy wires, to allow more room for airflow.
  • Adding more fans, intake and outtake, to exhaust hot air from your PC case.
  • Lowering the overall room temperature your PC is in.
  • Invest in an aftermarket heat sink; this will lower the overall temperature of your processor much more effectively than the original heatsink.

What happens if my computer becomes unstable due to overclocking?

1. Lower the FSB or multiplier through the BIOS until your computer is once again stable.
2. Increase the core voltage of your CPU. (This will provide more current to your processor; although this is effective, it will result in added heat)[/list]

I know there is much more information about overclocking, but I condensed this guide as much as I could so that users could get a basic understanding. If you have any further queries, feel free to post below.

Pirate Please be sure to say thanks for this guide if this helped you, or even if you just enjoyed the read. Pirate

Nice tutorial,
keep up the good work Smile
[Image: evidence2.png]
(02-06-2011, 03:12 PM)wassiliboss Wrote: Nice tutorial,
keep up the good work Smile

Thanks man. Surprised no one else has responded. Ohmy
(02-06-2011, 03:18 PM)Deltron Wrote: Thanks man. Surprised no one else has responded. Ohmy

I guess it's because they don't really care about Quality-Posting.
Anyway, it's a very well explained Tutorialand easy to follow/understand.
I just thought there would be more to Say about Overclocking, but this is also good!
Nice Work mayne!

If you know the answers to those, "much more" about overclocking questions, I would like to see more stuff about it on SF.
(02-06-2011, 03:22 PM)Gaijin Wrote: I guess it's because they don't really care about Quality-Posting.
Anyway, it's a very well explained Tutorialand easy to follow/understand.
I just thought there would be more to Say about Overclocking, but this is also good!
Nice Work mayne!

If you know the answers to those, "much more" about overclocking questions, I would like to see more stuff about it on SF.

For now, I have written of the basic concepts overclocking. Once that I see that members are reading this and asking for more, I will surely add to it. For the time being, this is all there is. Tongue

It's nice to see those that appreciate my efforts. Thumbsup
Nice tutorial thanks I want to overclock my PC but I'm scared to do something wrong... Sad
Sweet. Was meaning to overclock, but due to my fail cooling system, I can't due to the risk of overheating.
(02-12-2011, 11:02 AM)iMario999 Wrote: Nice tutorial thanks I want to overclock my PC but I'm scared to do something wrong... Sad

I feel you man. Just make sure you tweak the voltage just slightly. Until you see/hear any signs of your computer not being stable, switch back to the previous setting.

(02-12-2011, 11:15 AM)Dervie Wrote: Sweet. Was meaning to overclock, but due to my fail cooling system, I can't due to the risk of overheating.

Good choice there mate. Thumbsup

Cooling is a vital aspect in overclocking.
Thanks for the excellent tutorial Deltron, this may be an area which I'll look much closer into due to never trying this before.
Very good tutorial, bro., thanks for sharing...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Tutorial] Intel Overclocking Guide tusku 27 6,907 02-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: TwoMuchCaffeine
  Some CPU overclocking Spooony 3 1,723 05-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Spooony
  Overclocking Splodge0007 5 1,564 04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Spooony
  [EaZy TuToRiAl] How to Block 99.9% of Ads on Google Chrome [EaZy TuToRiAl] Resistance 7 1,095 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Microsoft