Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make my computer a monster
1. Avoid connecting too many devices to a USB hub. Many users don't know that a USB hub divides the total bandwidth amongst the devices connected to it. If you have multiple USB ports on your computer, try to spread connecting the devices to them instead of connecting all the peripherals to a single multi-port hub.

2. Get a high speed USB cable of at least 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s). The shorter the data cord the better, try to use one that is less than 7 feet long. Longer cords will interfere with the sent information speed due to distance.

3. If the constant incoming and outgoing information from USB ports are keeping your computer busy, there is another solution to help the RAM capacity in your computer. If you have Windows Vista, there is a feature called ReadyBoost that allows you to use your USB flash stick as RAM. Readyboost is like a temporary page file on your memory stick and helps in your computer's memory performance. However, you need a flash memory stick capable of high speeds.

Read more: How to Speed Up USB Data Transfer Rate | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5110812_speed-us...z1BFL4ngqw

(01-16-2011, 05:06 PM)Google. Wrote: 1. Avoid connecting too many devices to a USB hub. Many users don't know that a USB hub divides the total bandwidth amongst the devices connected to it. If you have multiple USB ports on your computer, try to spread connecting the devices to them instead of connecting all the peripherals to a single multi-port hub.

2. Get a high speed USB cable of at least 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s). The shorter the data cord the better, try to use one that is less than 7 feet long. Longer cords will interfere with the sent information speed due to distance.

3. If the constant incoming and outgoing information from USB ports are keeping your computer busy, there is another solution to help the RAM capacity in your computer. If you have Windows Vista, there is a feature called ReadyBoost that allows you to use your USB flash stick as RAM. Readyboost is like a temporary page file on your memory stick and helps in your computer's memory performance. However, you need a flash memory stick capable of high speeds.

Read more: How to Speed Up USB Data Transfer Rate | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5110812_speed-us...z1BFL4ngqw

Thanks for the information although I don't use a hub.

Edit: The article suggests I enable disk write caching for my external HD. What exactly is 'write caching', what would it do and how would it possibly increase performance. I tried Google'ing my concerns but there's no clear explication of what 'write caching' is. Anyone care to break it down for me?
Quote:Write caching in a connected storage device refers to the use of high-speed volatile memory to collect write commands sent to data storage devices and cache them until the slower storage media (either physical hard disks or low cost flash memory) can accommodate them. Most devices that use write caching require that power be supplied continuously.
That should answer your question referring to Write Caching. Also it is not advised to enable it when using USB-sticks (external flash device) as it may end up lose of data and damage your USB-stick due to power failure.

Also have you tested other USB-ports with the USB-stick or on another computer? And what comes to speeding up your computer, i'd suggest getting latest drivers for your hardware via manufacturers site as it will improve the speed and stability of your system significally when it comes to speeding up your computer. You should be able to find the drivers by googling the make and model of your computer if it's not a custom build because then you need to manually find the drivers by googling the name of your hardware models.

-J4mmy
[Image: siggp.png]
Get CCleaner and Malewarebytes to get rid of unwanted files, try and try defragging. As for web browser, Google Chrome is easily the fastest. I also recommend upgrading your RAM.
(01-17-2011, 06:52 AM)Jet Wrote: Get CCleaner and Malewarebytes to get rid of unwanted files, try and try defragging. As for web browser, Google Chrome is easily the fastest. I also recommend upgrading your RAM.

1. I have CCleaner and it doesn't help with transfer rates.
2. MBAM doesn't influence transfer rates. Also, I didn't say I had a virus/malware. My computer is clean. I'm just curious.
3. I defrag my HD regularly.
4. Google Chrome is fast but far from safe. I use Opera 11.
http://runegear.net/Thread-Which-Browser...6#pid51676
5. My RAM is not part of the problem. Data transfers don't coincide with RAM.
Well some very nice but great tools to have are "Unlocker" and "Stickies" both are freeware.
[Image: gviF7.gif]
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.
Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." - Robert Wilensky
(01-17-2011, 01:45 PM)JohnRonder Wrote: Well some very nice but great tools to have are "Unlocker" and "Stickies" both are freeware.

I'm familiar with Unlocker. I used it once to delete a file that apparently 'no longer existed'. But what's Stickies and how can it help me?
Ccleaner isn't actually a very good choice even though it removes junk files from your computer. It also can slows down your computer if you do not know what your removing. Some files in the Temporary folder Windows might still have use for them.

Registry cleaners have the same effects also.

Defragments can also slows down your computer and also bootup.
(01-17-2011, 03:35 PM)Hollow™ Wrote: Ccleaner isn't actually a very good choice even though it removes junk files from your computer. It also can slows down your computer if you do not know what your removing. Some files in the Temporary folder Windows might still have use for them.

Registry cleaners have the same effects also.

Defragments can also slows down your computer and also bootup.

You sure do know how to help. Glare
lol mentioning anything to do with RAM won't solve his issue in this case. Physical memory is completely independant of transfer rate, so it won't help him.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Make Your Computer Faster By Installing Virtual Memory[Tutorial] ๖ۣۜмσg тιмєz 1 1,034 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Last Post: SkyWalker