Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some help with the move from hosting to a VPS
(11-05-2010, 05:54 PM)IceGuru Wrote: Would is be better to switch to one of these?

CentOS 5 x86 (32bit) (Highly recommended)

CentOS 5 x86_64 (64bit)

I heard CentOS is what Omni uses.

How do I chose an OS? I just always went with ubuntu..

You're better off going 32bit unless you actually need 64bit. Applications will use up more memory on a 64bit machine. So a larger memory footprint with nothing good in return. Chances are your server supports PAE and Linux (the kernel) has supported it for quite a while now. Thus the memory cap isn't a concern; you're good for 64GB of RAM with a PAE-compatible system even on 32bit. For a general purpose server this is more than fine.

And I strongly recommend CentOS. It's well designed to be used as a server. In fact, that's its primary focus as its identical (minus the commercial attributes) to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It's very stable due to its update pattern. When a new version is releases you aren't left in the dark; your version's repository will continue to be updated for an additional five years.

How to choose an OS though is a vague question. The best answer I have is to continue trying different distros until you settle on something you like. Also I'm fairly certain Omni uses a BSD variant (FreeBSD I think) and not Linux.
Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison!
How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!
Ended up making the move with little problems.

May make a tut soon - http://www.youtube.com/user/Equals1337

Sub for it