Support Forums

Full Version: Some help with the move from hosting to a VPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have Ubuntu 64bit VPS and I am trying to move my Monetizing Forum onto it's own server from hosting.

I felt like then i could get them a Ventrillo and an Irc and show my dedication to the site more then hosting does.

So far I have installed apache php mysql and phpmyadmin.

What I wanna know is how do I import the database.

it's to big and I don't understand bigdump :/

Also if I wanna host other sites like example2.com and I wanna put it in /var/www/site2/ Where do I point the domain to or tell my server to let it point there 0.0

This is a big step from hosting for me to be honest. I am so confused.

Thanks for any help though.

I also need some type of a ad rotation that can swap between google adsense and ads from site members.
(10-28-2010, 06:32 PM)IceGuru Wrote: [ -> ]What I wanna know is how do I import the database.

What about BigDump are you having issues with? Have you exported your current database yet? If you haven't then that needs to happen first. Enter the database in phpMyAdmin, choose the export tab and make sure the "save as file" option is checked. Make sure that the data is going to be saved and then hit go. Do yourself a favor and don't bother opening that SQL file.

BigDump should be self-explanatory. Edit the configuration details for the target database. Upload it and the SQL dump to the same directory. Access it from your web browser. Choose the dump file and let it run. BigDump will stagger the importing.

(10-28-2010, 06:32 PM)IceGuru Wrote: [ -> ]Also if I wanna host other sites like example2.com and I wanna put it in /var/www/site2/ Where do I point the domain to or tell my server to let it point there 0.0

Are you managing your own DNS or are you using a third party service (whether it's your host or otherwise)? Either way you'll want to create A records for any new domains, with the IP address of the A record being your server. You'll want to make sure you point not only the top level of the domain to your server's IP but also the "www" subdomain.

Supposing the DNS is done and working, you tell Apache what to do with the domain via a VirtualHost entry. A bare bones VHost looks like this:

Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName different-domain.tld
  DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/domain-dir"
</VirtualHost>
^ you are the best... thanks for the help bro.

You wouldn't know any good tutroials to setup an IRC or a Ventrilo?
I can set up an IRC channel on any server.
^ can you send me your MSN or try and write a tut for Ubuntu 64 bit
(10-30-2010, 01:11 PM)IceGuru Wrote: [ -> ]^ you are the best... thanks for the help bro.

You wouldn't know any good tutroials to setup an IRC or a Ventrilo?

I've only ever set up Ventrilo once, but the process is surprisingly simple. This tutorial covers the process well. And this tutorial appears fairly conclusive for setting up IRCD; but I've never set it up myself so I can't say with complete certainty.
Just used that to setup my vent server.

Not how do I make it vent.monetizingforums.com ?
(11-03-2010, 09:21 PM)IceGuru Wrote: [ -> ]Just used that to setup my vent server.

Not how do I make it vent.monetizingforums.com ?

All you need to do is create the subdomain. If you're managing your own DNS then that means you'll want to create a new A record for "vent" and give it the IP address of your server. So long as the subdomain is pointing at your server you'll be set; no need for Apache to listen for it.
Would is be better to switch to one of these?

CentOS 5 x86 (32bit) (Highly recommended)

CentOS 5 x86_64 (64bit)

I heard CentOS is what Omni uses.

How do I chose an OS? I just always went with ubuntu..
What are you going to use for your dns solution? Centos is more optimized for web servers, where as ubuntu is more of a personal use operating system

I suggest centos, fully, and 32 bit

are you going to use an external dns server or add it onto your vps?
Pages: 1 2