Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are school bags too heavy
I work out a lot so they're not heavy to me, however I would LOVE having all our books on computers. The only problem with that is providing every student with a computer, but with a little fund raising that could be possible. Less tress killed, less student's sore muscles, everybody wins!
Many books are also available in digital formats, so I don't see the problem with schools subscribing to online libraries, instead of requiring students to individually purchase thickset textbooks. As education systems are revised and new editions are printed, many texts can quickly become outdated - yet another wastage.

Educational institutions and scholarly databases in the UK and the US have already begun projects for converting key references to digital formats. In countries where copyright laws are rarely enforced, many texts are simply scanned and uploaded to online repositories.

Most likely it is the wealthier countries, schools and institutions where physical books will begin to be phased out, and online libraries put on trial.
(10-12-2010, 11:19 AM)Fragma Wrote: I'm not so sure it does need to go digital. I can see a future where all humans rely on technology which is not something I look forward to.

Sucks for you, because it's happening one way or another.

Besides, we already rely on technology.
(10-12-2010, 02:00 PM)Fragma Wrote: Lol you've totally taken what I've said out of proportion.. Yes technology is already pretty much everywhere but if you start replacing things like books in school for electronic devices, in my opinion, that's taking things a bit to far. I can see the benefits but I hope in the future we aren't totally reliant upon technology...

I did so to prove a point. Technological advances occur to improve our standard of living.

Prior to the advent of the light bulb homes had to be entirely lit by candles at night. The likelihood of house fires was exponentially higher then than it was after light bulbs became the norm.

Candles are nice and they aren't going anywhere. But people don't light their homes with them anymore. Not in any normal circumstances anyways. The same will be true of books eventually. They'll still exist but they will be a novelty item, similar to candles. Thomas Edison once said, "We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles." As has been proven time and time again with other advances, this will eventually happen to books.

Technology isn't something that should be feared. It's not some flimsy idea that could disappear erratically. We already are reliant on it so there's no reason to worry about that. There are only benefits to be gained by moving into newer, clean technology and out of the current harmful and destructive means we employ now.
Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison!
How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!
(10-14-2010, 05:30 AM)Sickshot Wrote: Sucks for you, because it's happening one way or another.

Besides, we already rely on technology.

No it is not happening, you'd have to buy every student a computer which most school districts can not afford. Get a powerful enough wireless network which most districts can't afford, and prevent against cyber attacks which would require a lot of work. Not even speaking about how rude your post was, you're dead wrong.
(10-14-2010, 03:35 PM)Thomas® Wrote: No it is not happening, you'd have to buy every student a computer which most school districts can not afford. Get a powerful enough wireless network which most districts can't afford, and prevent against cyber attacks which would require a lot of work. Not even speaking about how rude your post was, you're dead wrong.

Read a post properly before making assumptions and calling me rude.

I meant technology is already taking over and technology is going to continue to advance whether he likes it or not.
(10-14-2010, 08:07 PM)Sickshot Wrote: Read a post properly before making assumptions and calling me rude.

I meant technology is already taking over and technology is going to continue to advance whether he likes it or not.

[sarcasm]I apologize, I did not realize that "sucks for you" is a polite term. Once again, my most humble apologizes sir. [/sarcasm]
(10-15-2010, 03:04 PM)Thomas® Wrote: [sarcasm]I apologize, I did not realize that "sucks for you" is a polite term. Once again, my most humble apologizes sir. [/sarcasm]

Trolling won't change the fact that you read my post wrong.

He's being ignorant and hypocritical about the advancement and usefulness of technology and now you're being hypocritical about how rude users posts can be.

My "sucks for you" wasn't meant to be interpreted as an insult, it was just my way of explaining to him that the advancement of technology is inevitable.

Just drop it.
yea just keep your books in your locker, no need to carry them around, but i agree that it may be a good idea, to just make all the books digitalised, although, if in every class i was using a computer i doubt i would get much work done.
[Image: denassig.png]
(10-15-2010, 07:31 PM)Sickshot Wrote: Trolling won't change the fact that you read my post wrong.

He's being ignorant and hypocritical about the advancement and usefulness of technology and now you're being hypocritical about how rude users posts can be.

My "sucks for you" wasn't meant to be interpreted as an insult, it was just my way of explaining to him that the advancement of technology is inevitable.

Just drop it.

No, I will not drop the arrogance of a rude, and LQ poster. Sucks for you is a common insult amongst 8 year olds, and there are many things that will get in the way of the advancement of technology. As far as I can tell this conversation is over, let's get back to this thread about If School Bags Are Too Heavy.