Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are school bags too heavy
Im my school, some of the 1st years go around with their bad handels halfway down the arms. one poor boy fell down the Stone steps today and nearly took me with him. If they digitalised the books we needed then it would save us all from going to the chiropractor. Some of our school bags can weigh up to 2 stone/28 pounds !?!?!?!MadOhmyNonoWacko
Ya I know.
I think our books should be put on Computers.
Congrats on first post!
There is a thing called lockers to put books in. Tongue
Also goto the gym alot and it wont feel as heavy. Hehe
But if you had digitalised books who would pay for the hardware to view them? Schools need all the money they got and can't waste it on that.
[Image: burninglove4.png]
(10-11-2010, 01:02 PM)Untouch Wrote: There is a thing called lockers to put books in. Tongue
Also goto the gym alot and it wont feel as heavy. Hehe
But if you had digitalised books who would pay for the hardware to view them? Schools need all the money they got and can't waste it on that.

Digital copies don't need to be required, they could be offered as an alternative. I'm sure schools could come up with an incentive (besides the less weight of books compared to a laptop) to push as many students as possible into utilizing digital copies. The less weight and no worries about damage would have been enough incentive for me.

From what my fiancée has told me, no student should be carrying more than 30% of their body weight in a backpack. When students do carry over a third of their body weight on their back you begin to see minuscule fractures in their spines. Weight aside, a lot of that can also be negated by properly wearing the backpack; both straps, never just one.
Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison!
How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!
I doubt that schools would pay for students to use digitalized books. (I'm guessing you mean something like the Amazon Kindle). I think it's a great idea but not very realistic. Also I don't like the thought that technology could totally take over everything.
I don't carry a school bag, I just walk with a small 3-ring binder or two, and use them for all subjects.
Whistle
(10-11-2010, 01:44 PM)Fragma Wrote: Also I don't like the thought that technology could totally take over everything.

Yeah niether do I, it already took over a few things such as Writing, (MS Word), Drawing (Photoshop) and last but not least, Reading (Amazon Kindle)... Soon enough, book companies wouldn't bother printing on paper, we would be using electronic notebooks. No more reading out off paper.
[Image: t5BWm.png]
(10-11-2010, 06:59 PM)L3g1tWa5te Wrote: Yeah niether do I, it already took over a few things such as Writing, (MS Word), Drawing (Photoshop) and last but not least, Reading (Amazon Kindle)... Soon enough, book companies wouldn't bother printing on paper, we would be using electronic notebooks. No more reading out off paper.

I fail to see how that's a bad thing? Making paper is a dirty process and every step of it is harmful to the environment. From physically removing entire forests, to running the machinery to chop the tree up for transportation. The trucks required to transport. Then the factories that process the wood. And then even more transporting however many times it takes to get that stack of paper to its final destination.

Obviously books aren't the only thing that use paper and eliminating them will not stop the process. But it's a step in the right direction. You're worried about technology taking over? That has already happened and it happened thousands of years ago. Every tool you use, from a hammer to a pencil, is a form of technology. The stones we sharpened thousands of years ago to hunt game was a form of technology. Believe me, technology doesn't have to take over, it already has.

(10-11-2010, 01:44 PM)Fragma Wrote: I doubt that schools would pay for students to use digitalized books. (I'm guessing you mean something like the Amazon Kindle).

It wouldn't require the Kindle. A simple digital version of the book (aka an e-book) would suffice. Many students have laptops/netbooks these days. And so long as the school offers the digital copy as an alternative, not a requirement, it's less weight for those students to be putting on their backs.
Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison!
How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!
Another thing I've seen happen is schools have like 50 copies in their classrooms, and then they rent the books out to multiple classes in different periods, and if they have homework they can use the online version of the book.

Both my health and math class are doing this.
Yeah, few years before when i was in 8th standard, my bag was about 3kg.
But now, it only weights 1kg.
Tongue
My TECH Blog:- http://www.gujjufreak.com