Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Linux should I install to VM?
(10-04-2010, 02:57 PM)Carbon Wrote: I prefer CentOS, but that's all I've ever used so :3

CentOS is heavily slated for server usage. Even right down to its repositories and the amount of time it takes for binaries to be updated.

CATMAN, download a couple different distros and try them all. The appeal of a VM is that you can install an OS painlessly, try it and delete it quickly if you don't like it. Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE are three of the most popular you'll find. Give them a try.
Ubuntu is the most user friendly but if you want to just use the CLI then go for CentOS 5.
try one thats super light (for performance)
and uses low graphics rendering.
go with Damn small linux or arch
(10-07-2010, 04:32 AM)Disease Wrote: CentOS is heavily slated for server usage. Even right down to its repositories and the amount of time it takes for binaries to be updated.

CATMAN, download a couple different distros and try them all. The appeal of a VM is that you can install an OS painlessly, try it and delete it quickly if you don't like it. Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE are three of the most popular you'll find. Give them a try.

unless your going to be running a forum or hosting an HTTP bot panel... Disease is right =)
slowly getting better
I would install Backtrack 4 if you're into hacking, and Ubuntu if you want to use linux normally.
install backtrack
arch, puppy or damn small linux (less memory intensive)
slowly getting better
If you want it for hacking then download backtrack from here: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to install kali linux khanhackers 1 986 05-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Miltan
  how to install kali linux khanhackers 0 789 09-09-2016, 03:41 AM
Last Post: khanhackers
  Linux Install Help Kotel 19 2,981 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Last Post: haphazard