Support Forums

Full Version: What Linux should I install to VM?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm going to install Linux in my Virutal Machine,but I don't know what OS to chose.Should I install Backtrack 4 or Ubuntu or something else?
Well, if you're going to do some malicious activities, yes, BT4 is perfect for you as it comes with all the tools you'll ever need.

If you want a Linux user-friendly, fun, and has tons of stuff to do on it, then yes, Ubuntu.

I would also suggest installing Red Hat.

IMHO, other distros aren't made for VM's as they'll become slow, etc..
Try Arch Linux, you will learn a lot.
If it's for hacking try backtrack, if general use try fedora.
Running Linux in a VM is pointless, unless you want to use it for hacking.
It's more common to run Windows in a VM on Linux.
Run Slackware and learn to be self-sufficient. Slackware is my favorite, most-used OS, and I have learned much through the years. Now, I know the installation required knowledge/learning curve isn't as steep as Gentoo, but you'll become more accustomed to text installation which is a valuable skill. Also, you'll be forced to learn to build everything you use (if you go the default route), which is another invaluable skill to learn. I feel that Slack is much less click-oriented, and more terminal focused.
(08-26-2010, 06:31 AM)Iarkey Wrote: [ -> ]If it's for hacking try backtrack, if general use try fedora.
If you are using a virtual machine to run linux then you new backtrack 4 because you would be hacking with it. If you want to use Linux as an OS just duel boot it. It is very easy.

Also this is a good site to review distros..

http://distrowatch.com/

Good luck man.
It depends what you want to do, for everyday use go for Ubuntu. For "pen testing" go for BT 4.
I prefer CentOS, but that's all I've ever used so :3
Pages: 1 2