Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Have you been a forum administrator?
I was a forum administrator on several forum that are down already, but i'm still a moderator on one forum, i won't tell it here because this could be under forum advertising and i don't want to break the rules.
EDIT: I have learned tons things about being a administrator, well, i spent most of my free time on that forums, cleaning all up, it was hard but i enjoyed it everytime as i love being into the staff of an good forum.
[Image: 2dmd5j.png]
Quote:But ultimately this.

I CANT GET BANNED FROM MY SITES
Amen to that!
I have recently learned that if you remove the rep function from your forums you get flamed no matter what you replace it with.
(08-03-2010, 04:35 AM)Gonzo Wrote: I have recently learned that if you remove the rep function from your forums you get flamed no matter what you replace it with.

I can imagine. People like the rep function, regardless of how the system can be abused.
I myself, haven't been an administrator, but I am/was a moderator at a gaming forum.

What I learned about being an moderator; not much, since I wasn't the most active at the forum, and there weren't many members (~20). But you have to be fair with everyone, as in, don't let things slide for members that are your friends.
I have learned these following things:
  • Listen to Members Problems
  • Moderate Tons of sections
  • Remove/Delete/Ban/Suspend Threads, Members.

Administrators go through tons of problems such as members who get banned and register again and again, ddosers when people/members attempt to DDOS your own site, bugs, errors, flames, spams, and other things that causes administrators to have a bad time.
I've been administrating actually successful websites and forums since I was 9, and I learned alot that could help others.

First of all, don't try to bring up your activity. Don't post a lot of threads, don't reply to threads with a friendly reply, etc. Keep your post count to a minimum, and administrate. It isn't a game. People respect that, and it gets work done faster.

Secondly, if you're running a forum, don't have a messy forum. Try to keep the WHOLE forum in 3 categories, with plenty of subforums. Have broad topictitles.

Thirdly, if you're running a forum, as an admin, do NOT have a retarded signature. Keep your signature as small as possible. Don't ask me why. If omni went off and got a retarded looking signature with a goal list under it, wouldn't you be kind of turned off by the site?

Fourthly, people stay at a site if they see the administrator is smart. If there's a good community, with no loyalty to the admin, someone will just start a new community, exploit your flaws, and take your members. It happens.

Fifth, don't make tons of staff. If your forum has 100 members, you really don't need ANY moderators. It's obvious your only getting staff for activity. You'll only need mods when you notice a significant amount of work difference in your daily moderating.

Sixth, make sure your mother freakin staff are professional. You don't want dumbass staff, I see a lot of sites that could be professional, but they have 7 - 8 staff, all retarded.

Seventh, don't make too much change. You view your site more than anyone, so it gets old fast to you. Don't let that get ahold of you. To new members, your site doesn't feel "old". Only you have the feeling. If people start requesting a theme change, then you might want to start adding extra themes for use. Don't do it because of a gut feeling, though.

Hope those tips helped.
(08-03-2010, 03:34 PM)Eve Wrote: I can imagine. People like the rep function, regardless of how the system can be abused.

Regardless of what people shoot out of their ass, rep on most forums is what keeps people contributing.

Forums without a rep system generally are more chaotic.
(08-04-2010, 08:31 PM)Tate Wrote: I've been administrating actually successful websites and forums since I was 9, and I learned alot that could help others.

First of all, don't try to bring up your activity. Don't post a lot of threads, don't reply to threads with a friendly reply, etc. Keep your post count to a minimum, and administrate. It isn't a game. People respect that, and it gets work done faster.

Secondly, if you're running a forum, don't have a messy forum. Try to keep the WHOLE forum in 3 categories, with plenty of subforums. Have broad topictitles.

Thirdly, if you're running a forum, as an admin, do NOT have a retarded signature. Keep your signature as small as possible. Don't ask me why. If omni went off and got a retarded looking signature with a goal list under it, wouldn't you be kind of turned off by the site?

Fourthly, people stay at a site if they see the administrator is smart. If there's a good community, with no loyalty to the admin, someone will just start a new community, exploit your flaws, and take your members. It happens.

Fifth, don't make tons of staff. If your forum has 100 members, you really don't need ANY moderators. It's obvious your only getting staff for activity. You'll only need mods when you notice a significant amount of work difference in your daily moderating.

Sixth, make sure your mother freakin staff are professional. You don't want dumbass staff, I see a lot of sites that could be professional, but they have 7 - 8 staff, all retarded.

Seventh, don't make too much change. You view your site more than anyone, so it gets old fast to you. Don't let that get ahold of you. To new members, your site doesn't feel "old". Only you have the feeling. If people start requesting a theme change, then you might want to start adding extra themes for use. Don't do it because of a gut feeling, though.

Hope those tips helped.

Regardless of what people shoot out of their ass, rep on most forums is what keeps people contributing.

The is a huge list you got there lol. But nice work Smile Admins work is harder then others.
(08-04-2010, 08:31 PM)Tate Wrote: I've been administrating actually successful websites and forums since I was 9, and I learned alot that could help others.

Hope those tips helped.

The only thing i do not agree with is the amount of staff. I have enough staff now that the forum can be moderated 24/7 near enough and stuff gets done A LOT faster
I have and still am on several sites, in my opinion the only way to really be a "good" admin is to continue to learn and listen to what the users say otherwise you will continue to make the mistakes which they don't like, I mean no one is perfect but we must learn from my mistakes.
[Image: electricdreamswithborde.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Picking the best administrator for your forums Brandon 15 4,917 07-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Link
  Courses: Becoming an Administrator Lord_Scorch 50 6,215 07-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Eve