Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux Flavor?
Quote:You shouldn't be limited by what the distribution includes by default. If you have an installation of Ubuntu 9.10 running Gnome, you don't want to format it, lose your settings and install another flavor, do you? No, of course not. If you no longer want Gnome, go ahead and install XFCE and switch to it in GDM or your login manager of choice...or just completely remove Gnome and use XFCE or something else.

Won't switching desktop environments cause you to lose data in the home folder, such as pictures, music, and so on? I apologize. I'm rather ignorant when it comes to Linux.
No you wont lose them.
(04-12-2010, 05:42 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: Won't switching desktop environments cause you to lose data in the home folder, such as pictures, music, and so on? I apologize. I'm rather ignorant when it comes to Linux.

Nope, none of them. I wouldn't call yourself ignorant. You can't expect to know something if you haven't given yourself a chance to mess with it. Tongue
<Aoi-chan> everyone's first vi session. ^C^C^X^X^X^XquitqQ!qdammit[esc]qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;:xwhat
(04-12-2010, 05:42 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: Won't switching desktop environments cause you to lose data in the home folder, such as pictures, music, and so on? I apologize. I'm rather ignorant when it comes to Linux.

I run LXDE and Gnome on my top, works quite well.
For me, Gentoo.
Linux Mint is Ubuntu with extra crap
(04-20-2010, 12:15 PM)PaaYbAAcK Wrote: Linux Mint is Ubuntu with extra crap

Ubuntu is wayyyy more bloated than Mint.
(04-20-2010, 12:15 PM)PaaYbAAcK Wrote: Linux Mint is Ubuntu with extra crap

Linux Mint is like a fixed ubuntu
[Image: kco478.png]
My favorite flavor for Desktops is Slackware. It's what I always run on my main desktop.

On my laptop, however, I run Arch Linux because of how lightweight it is.
It's Red Hat for me Smile