Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux Flavor?
I keep reading that Linux Mint is really good, but the majority of people I know use ubuntu. What do you think is the best flavor?
Linux Mint is nice I have heard. But as a newbie xUbuntu is the only one I have only been able to use at the moment. Not tried mint so far though.
WhiteHat Hacker, Infection Control and HJT Team Trainee
Poppins™
Originally from: Hackforums.net
Linux mint is pretty good for starters.
Linux mint is good for starters, its based Ubuntu. It's just like Ubuntu but looks different and has everything already installed (codecs et.)
I use CrunchBang linux right now.
My favorite flavor of Linux is Gentoo base distros
gentoo or arch i would say

for beginners mint i would gusse never used it
I like Fedora and Ubuntu.

Never tried Mint yet but I've tried UBuntu & Sabayon before..
Depends on what you want to do.
For newbies:
Ubuntu is nice, but it's bloated. Ubuntu uses GNOME by default.
Kubuntu uses KDE, which is more user friendly for those used to Windows.
Xubuntu uses XFCE (sp?), which, I hear, is a more customizable environment.

I don't like Linux Mint to be honest. I've had many issues with it in the past -_-
(04-12-2010, 02:02 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: Depends on what you want to do.
For newbies:
Ubuntu is nice, but it's bloated. Ubuntu uses GNOME by default.
Kubuntu uses KDE, which is more user friendly for those used to Windows.
Xubuntu uses XFCE (sp?), which, I hear, is a more customizable environment.

I don't like Linux Mint to be honest. I've had many issues with it in the past -_-

You shouldn't be limited by what the distribution includes by default. If you have an installation of Ubuntu 9.10 running Gnome, you don't want to format it, lose your settings and install another flavor, do you? No, of course not. If you no longer want Gnome, go ahead and install XFCE and switch to it in GDM or your login manager of choice...or just completely remove Gnome and use XFCE or something else.

As for my favorite, I have a few favorites. I like Arch as a minimal distribution, it's fast. You install what you want to install and you customize most of what you would want to customize during installation. It's a straightforward and easy setup if you have a little bit of experience with the CLI. I also like Ubunu--yes, Ubuntu. I honestly don't care what a lot of you elitist Gentoo-whores say about it. Just because it's easy to setup and includes a lot (perhaps too much for some users), it doesn't make it inferior. A distro that is hard to setup doesn't make you any more 'cool' or 'elite.' I've used Fedora in the past, but Fedora has only gone downhill--I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I've never used Mandriva, but I'm going to give it a mention. These are all my opinions, anyway.
<Aoi-chan> everyone's first vi session. ^C^C^X^X^X^XquitqQ!qdammit[esc]qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;:xwhat