Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Why do Americans pronounce words differently?
Maybe because English is different, British English is What YOU speak, I speak American English

Mom is easier to say then mum, but I've had a few people from UK and with there Accent it's easier to say Mum than Mom.. so I understand, it's just how it is.

(11-02-2011, 05:50 AM)HecticHydra Wrote: Maybe because English is different, British English is What YOU speak, I speak American English

British English? Tongue It's just English.
American English isn't technically a language.
In fact America doesn't have an official language, it's just that English is the most widely spoken there.

By the way guys, you seem to be getting quite defensive. I wasn't having a dig at America in any way what so ever, and I'm not saying your language is wrong, I was just curious as to how it came about.
Well, I suppose that when they say it in england, it stays, as the same in American. Same as Canada and America,

Pop>Soda

Oh and like this for England and American/Canada
Lift>Elevator
(11-02-2011, 06:18 AM)Fragma Wrote: British English? Tongue It's just English.
American English isn't technically a language.
In fact America doesn't have an official language, it's just that English is the most widely spoken there.

By the way guys, you seem to be getting quite defensive. I wasn't having a dig at America in any way what so ever, and I'm not saying your language is wrong, I was just curious as to how it came about.

Oh yea, totally I understand and no I'm not being defensive at all. It's just that pronunciation changes through time, just like swearing.. It really lost it's meaning..
I suppose it's just genetics if you wanna get technical about it.
I speak flat out English, no gimmicks.
[Image: QRCjW2pNdRK00.gif]
#Korra2018
(11-01-2011, 05:28 PM)Facade Wrote: Of course that's true, racism is the answer to everything..... No.

It's just a cultural thing, since where I live it's a big 'mushpot' of different cultures, languages, and accents, they eventually blended together, like a giant mixer. The reason that England has kept it the same is because they did pretty much 'invent' the English language and there's not as much diversity so things don't mix as much.

In the US there's just about all races you can think of. I bet that if green and purple people existed, they'd live in the U.S. It's just because it changed over years of different ethnicities reproduced and it blended, the same with hearing the word and adapting to it.

I wasn't being racist at all.
Yea, I too would love to know why they do that^^
You know Australians are very different too.
Instead of saying (some things are the same):

Mom we also say Mum.
The US calls it a sidewalk, England calls it a pavement, we call it walking path.
We use the word Pacifier.
And we use both Nappy and Diaper.
Same problem with me so i have purchased a Cambridge Dictionary software. It helped me to recognized American and UK accent.
I still notice the differnence between canadian words and US.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The World According to Americans Cubs 2 430 10-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Thomas
  Adding a Face to My Words Metapod 4 760 04-27-2012, 03:59 AM
Last Post: Metapod
  Long words alonalon 17 3,503 05-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Last Post: cheeseburger
  Associating words with colors. Elektrisk 5 1,198 04-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Elektrisk
  Try and pronounce: Аноним Интерфейс Jordan L. 39 5,120 01-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Canoris