Support Forums

Full Version: Why do Americans pronounce words differently?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I tried Googling this but couldn't find anything. I know in England we have different accents depending on where abouts you live in the country, however the way we say things is still pretty much the same.

I've always wondered why Americans say words differently, such as:

Mom instead of Mum
Sidewalk instead of Pavement
Pacifier instead of Dummy
Diaper instead of Nappy

(you get the idea).

Anybody know why this is? Is it a multi-cultural thing? Where they have just picked apart different languages to create their own?
I think you are the one who is spelling them differently Tongue
Especially what's wrong with diaper,mom? I think both of these are at least normal and ordinary words. Smile
(11-01-2011, 08:48 AM)ρяιη¢є Wrote: [ -> ]I think you are the one who is spelling them differently Tongue

Not possible considering we invented the English language lmao.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with them pronouncing things differently, I'm just curious as to why they do, and how it happened.

I just read this on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English

Looks as though their language developed through influences by the Native Americans, Europe and West Africa, which is pretty interesting.
(11-01-2011, 08:59 AM)Fragma Wrote: [ -> ]Not possible considering we invented the English language lmao.

oh yeah lol Roflmao I forgot the fact that it's you who invented the english Omg
That is simply how the languages evolved. Truth is, around the 1700's the colonists (now Americans) had the current "England" accent.
(11-01-2011, 01:18 PM)Laugh Wrote: [ -> ]That is simply how the languages evolved. Truth is, around the 1700's the colonists (now Americans) had the current "England" accent.

Yeh that's what I thought. I think it's pretty interesting when you think about it.
It's because they're accent is different and they believe that their way of speaking is proper English.
(11-01-2011, 04:18 PM)iKraZee Wrote: [ -> ]It's because they're accent is different and they believe that their way of speaking is proper English.

Of course that's true, racism is the answer to everything..... No.

It's just a cultural thing, since where I live it's a big 'mushpot' of different cultures, languages, and accents, they eventually blended together, like a giant mixer. The reason that England has kept it the same is because they did pretty much 'invent' the English language and there's not as much diversity so things don't mix as much.

In the US there's just about all races you can think of. I bet that if green and purple people existed, they'd live in the U.S. It's just because it changed over years of different ethnicities reproduced and it blended, the same with hearing the word and adapting to it.

C0L055AL

The thing is, you didn't invent the English language, because we come from the same place. You mean to tell me that in England, they do not have variations on words depending on the area you are from? In America, people from the north pronounce words way differently from people in the south. It is the same words practically, just variations because of location. Plus I would never call a diaper a "nappy" that just sounds retarded.
(11-01-2011, 09:39 PM)C0L055AL Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is, you didn't invent the English language, because we come from the same place. You mean to tell me that in England, they do not have variations on words depending on the area you are from? In America, people from the north pronounce words way differently from people in the south. It is the same words practically, just variations because of location. Plus I would never call a diaper a "nappy" that just sounds retarded.

I already said above that people in England have different accents depending on where you're from, but I'm not talking about accents alone, I'm also talking about having completely different words for things.
And you're saying that the English didn't invent the English language? Lol OK then.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6