Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up 2 Wireless Routers - does it help
I've been searching for a step-by-step instruction or configuration diagram but can't find a straight answer that will address all aspects of setting up 2 routers.
Sorry for the long winded question, but I want to make sure I'm understood.

First part of the question is
Will 2 routers be an advantage to offset the sharing of workload.
Will it improve performance through workload sharing and speed up tasks.

Synopsis –
I have 8 devices listed below, I want the following to occur.
Primary Router A would perform all the tasks that are required by 4 specific devices Secondary Router B would perform all the tasks that are required for another 4 devices.

My current configuration all goes through a single Router A

1. Computer 1 – media storage Wired to port 1
2. Computer 2 – workhorse with Wired to port 2
3. Computer 3 – laptop with wireless connection
4. Thinkpad Tablet – Wireless access to the internet
5. Samsung Galaxy S II phone – Wireless access to the internet
6. DVD Player 1 – Wireless streaming video from internet and computer 1 to provide data to TV-1
7. DVD Player 2 – Wireless streaming video from internet and computer 1 to provide data to TV-1 in other room.
8. Printer Wired connection to Router A Port 3 shared by all computers.
9. Guest devices, visitors with phones and computers.

The stress comes from performing the following simultaneous functions.
Watching a movie through streaming video from computer 1 to DVD players 1&2 while moving files from one computer to another while on the internet downloading new files.

IP’s are dynamic so when I reboot any device, IP’s may change.

I have a spare Linksys dual band wireless router (Router B) which I want to offload and share the stress of what the primary Router A is currently doing.

From what I’ve read, all I have to do is make a second gateway number on Router B and disable the DHCP

Example
Router A which is connected to the internet remains with the configuration = gateway IP is 192.168.1.1 and DHCP enabled.
Router B which is placed in another room = gateway IP is 192.168.1.2 disable the DHCP so it does not transmit IP addresses.

It seems a little too simple, but I’m reading that this should be all that is required.

Sub - Question :
Can this configuration be done without a physical Ethernet cable between the routers or does a cable have to exist for the two routers to bridge.

So let’s say I was to configure the two routers as explained above with or without a cable between the routers.
In my mind I think I would have to teach each device how to interact with each router to perform a specific function.

For instance:
1. I want to copy files between Computer 1 and Computer 3 – Use Router B
2. I want to stream video from Netflix to DVD player 1 – Use Router A
3. I want to stream video from Netflix to DVD player 2 – Use Router B
4. I want to download files from the internet from computer 2 – Use Router A
5. I want to print a document from Tablet – Use Router B
6. I want Samsung Galaxy S II to browse the internet – Use Router B

Is it possible to teach each device to reference a specific router as described in the above 6 examples.

If Yes..... How

That’s it, that’s my dilemma. Thank you for reading this far.

Messages In This Thread
Setting up 2 Wireless Routers - does it help - by chuckbytes - 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM
RE: Setting up 2 Wireless Routers - does it help - by rickmartin.gt - 12-25-2019, 11:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to make my PC as wireless Router debasishsahu4u 2 1,167 12-25-2019, 11:30 PM
Last Post: rickmartin.gt
  Wireless not working «Ðartz™» 18 5,105 12-25-2019, 11:30 PM
  Having trouble with Wireless Internet JMEG 4 1,541 12-25-2019, 11:30 PM
  Wireless Lan Speed NAT 8 1,656 12-25-2019, 11:29 PM
  How to get password to your Wireless Router? Gregarious 19 6,078 01-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Chrisayan