Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Solved my own prob] Undeletable File! :O Help Me!
Disable UAC, then try deleting the file.

Open notepad, then copy and paste this code into it:

Please note to replace the file path here with the filepath and when doing so keep the quotes.

Code:
@echo off
ATTRIB -A -R -S -H "file path here"
del "file path here"
del"%0"
exit
Then save as fix.batch to the desktop, right-click and run as administrator.
(05-07-2011, 10:15 PM)Deltron Wrote: Disable UAC, then try deleting the file.

How would that help, anyways? Fill me in please with technical details, I love to learn?
(05-07-2011, 10:20 PM)RDCA Wrote: Open notepad, then copy and paste this code into it:

Code:
@echo off
ATTRIB -A -R -S -H "file path here"
del "file path here"
del"%0"
exit
Then save as fix.batch to the desktop, right-click and run as administrator.

I tried it, and it still fails... Let me try what Deltron is suggesting.
[Image: t5BWm.png]
Solution #1: Kill explorer.exe

1. Open a command prompt
2. Navigate to the location where the locked file is
3. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL, click on “task manager”, select the Processes tab
4. Kill the explorer.exe process via the “End Process” button
5. Go back to the command prompt and delete the file
6. Bring up the task manager windows again
7. Select file->new task
8. Type explorer.exe in the “create new task” field
9. Press OK.

Solution #2: Use The Windows Recovery Console

Just stick your Windows CD in your CD tray, boot on it, and at the “Welcome to Setup” screen, press “R“. Once the recovery console has started, navigate to the location of your locked file, and delete it. Since WRC does not really start the system, the files will not be in use, and you will be able to delete them. Oh, and for all you Linux geeks out there, yes, we know, doing this via a linux live CD / USB key is also possible.

Solution #3: Use unlocker

Unlocker is a very useful freeware that will allow you to unlock any files that are currently in use by Windows. You’ll know if this is happening if you are getting any of these messages when trying to delete a file:

1. Cannot delete file: Access is denied
2. There has been a sharing violation
3. The source or destination file may be in use
4. The file is in use by another program or user

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
Go on CMD and activate your Administrator Account...
Then log off and log in the Administrator Account.
Try to delete the file now!
[Image: just-cause-2-header.jpg]
Guys I solved it. I had to boot my laptop into safe mode, and permantley delete the file. Done!

Close thread please!
For future reference, since this is a somewhat common issue. Sometimes the file is being used in the processes, and sometimes it has the "Read only" attribute checked. Uncheck that, check your processes if that doesn't work, and if you can't change the processes, take ownership of the file through command prompt, and try again. Make sure you have correct permissions, or use Unlocker. It's a program that I would highly advise.

Glad you could fix it though.
(05-09-2011, 07:53 PM)Infinity Wrote: For future reference, since this is a somewhat common issue. Sometimes the file is being used in the processes, and sometimes it has the "Read only" attribute checked. Uncheck that, check your processes if that doesn't work, and if you can't change the processes, take ownership of the file through command prompt, and try again. Make sure you have correct permissions, or use Unlocker. It's a program that I would highly advise.

Glad you could fix it though.

Thanks but -- in short, the file had not been properly uninstalled and the left over application lost its ownership, which fudged it all up... It had not been running, I would have caught that ;) Whistle Well thanks though.