Support Forums

Full Version: Strange Wifi problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.

I've updated a system, from Windows Vista to Windows 7. And the wifi has been found and it tries to connect, and it asks for the wireless key.

The strange bit is there is another computer using wireless, used the same windows 7 disc and that computer connects to the internet just fine.

Also, the ps3 connects via wifi perfectly.

Any suggestions?
(12-30-2009, 01:34 PM)Codine Wrote: [ -> ]Hello.

I've updated a system, from Windows Vista to Windows 7. And the wifi has been found and it tries to connect, and it asks for the wireless key.

The strange bit is there is another computer using wireless, used the same windows 7 disc and that computer connects to the internet just fine.

Also, the ps3 connects via wifi perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Well the wireless key I believe is the wireless network password. If it is asking for it I assume its because the wireless network is secured with either WPA or WEP. When you go to connect next time don't automatically connect to the network just mouse over it and see if there is anything in the Security-type line
like this.
[Image: wireless.png]
if that line says anything similar to Wpa, Wep, or Wpa2 then you will need to know the network password.
If you have Fios and use WEP like my then go to your router and look at the sticker on the bottom of your router, it should say WEP KEY: XXXXXXXXXX . Otherwise I can't help you until you tell use your ISP, and if your using Wpa, Wep etc.

Your network recognizes your computer as unknown due to the changes made, and it simply prompts you for a password, which you only need to enter once. This is why the Ps3 is able to connect, because clearly you have entered the key on the ps3 so it stays on the network.
Oh, I've done that, that was the first thing i did.. Was put the key in. It still wont connect, which is really strange, i've also singled it out so it's the only computer connecting to the router.
This isn't going to be of much help to you, but have you tried connecting your computer/laptop to your router using an ethernet cable? If that works, then it must be the wireless, but if it doesn't work, then I would guess there's a problem with the wireless drivers.
Have you tried rebooting router and all pc's on the network?
It could be a address issue i guess?
I think we need a little more information like is it a router or a modem router combo supplied by the Internet provider and if it is secured with wep wpa or wpa2.
Maybe it's the wireless card. If you got time you can swap the wireless cards with the other computer and try it. If that doesnt work than it's the router or you doing something wrong.
Punch that shit Till it works.
(01-04-2010, 09:43 PM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe it's the wireless card. If you got time you can swap the wireless cards with the other computer and try it. If that doesnt work than it's the router or you doing something wrong.

that particular message means that it needs a network password so its either that the password has a hidden cap or space in it. Point being there has to be a password/wrong password if said message shows up. So maybe there is a cap codine is missing or a space as i am pretty sure they are case senitive. if you have access to router I would suggest changing the password and see if that works.
Pages: 1 2