Support Forums

Full Version: Portable HDD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I want get a terabyte hard drive. I was just wondering if you guys had any preferences on brands and what would be the cheapest, but most reliable?
I personally own a WD Elements 1TB HDD and it's been working great for about 7 months now. After about 2 months I took it out of it's enclosure (it's a WD Caviar Green drive) and I put it into my computer and everything went great. I even later put a different HDD into the enclosure and it worked fine as well.
Western Digital and Seagate are my top favorite. Seagate has always been good for me, especially for internal hard drives. But Western Digital usually has good reliability if you want an external one. Both brands overall are generally good though, and with reasonable price.

Found this page on google as well:
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windo.../2672.aspx

The above comment was just from my personal experience, and i've never used a Fantom hard drive before.
(03-07-2011, 11:05 PM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]Western Digital and Seagate are my top favorite. Seagate has always been good for me, especially for internal hard drives. But Western Digital usually has good reliability if you want an external one. Both brands overall are generally good though, and with reasonable price.

I could never recommended a seagate drive to anyone considering their three-year failure rate is around 40%.
I got this one, I don't know what you consider cheap.... but I am happy with this and how much I paid for it....
Seagate 1TB External Hard Drive
(03-07-2011, 11:06 PM)gsp Wrote: [ -> ]I could never recommended a seagate drive to anyone considering their three-year failure rate is around 40%.

What models of Seagate have you had though? I haven't had any trouble with mine, and my internal 2TB has been working for over 2 years now.
(03-07-2011, 11:07 PM)Polymath Wrote: [ -> ]I got this one, I don't know what you consider cheap.... but I am happy with this and how much I paid for it....
Seagate 1TB External Hard Drive

That is just the price I was looking for. How long have you had it? No troubles at all?
(03-07-2011, 11:08 PM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]What models of Seagate have you had though? I haven't had any trouble with mine, and my internal 2TB has been working for over 2 years now.
I've never personally owned a seagate for that very reason- their notorious failure rates over the past few years.
(03-07-2011, 11:09 PM)gsp Wrote: [ -> ]I've never personally owned a seagate for that very reason- their notorious failure rates over the past few years.

I haven't seen any reviews that would say that, and my comments came from personal experience. Maybe it was mis-use or incorrect management? Like I said, mine has been working for over 2 years now perfectly. What are your sources for this?
(03-07-2011, 11:09 PM)Codad Law Wrote: [ -> ]That is just the price I was looking for. How long have you had it? No troubles at all?

Well I had it for about 3 Months now, but I also have another one 250GB from Seagate for a year now... Never had any problems with it and, it is plugged in 24/7 and working...
Pages: 1 2