Support Forums

Full Version: Punching Bags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been thinking about getting a punching bag, maybe a 100LB one or something.
I was just wondering if they are helpful, I want to train myself in a few fighting basics like proper punching, blocking and moving fast without leaving myself vulnerable to opponents strikes.

What is the best way to teach myself those basic skills without having a sparring partner. I've been watching a lot of Supernatural lately, I see them fight with good technique and I see lots of kids that just swing punches when fighting.

I think some technique would be better than no technique at all, so could someone give me some pointers or good way to train myself.
Hey baked ,

I'm a K1 fighter along with MMA and to be honest with you the best techinique IMO is ; Muay Thai for stance , attack and defensive purposes.

I've been doing K1 for around 6 years now and I'd have to say in my time Muay Thai fighters allways seem to win.

Get yourself to some classes then get yourself a punching bag and some gloves.
(03-03-2011, 07:19 AM)Sin Wrote: [ -> ]Hey baked ,

I'm a K1 fighter along with MMA and to be honest with you the best techinique IMO is ; Muay Thai for stance , attack and defensive purposes.

I've been doing K1 for around 6 years now and I'd have to say in my time Muay Thai fighters allways seem to win.

Get yourself to some classes then get yourself a punching bag and some gloves.

Well thanks Sin, that seems really helpful. Problem is, I live in a small town and I doubt there is Muay Thai fighting classes. I'd love to learn something like that though, I've always wanted to be a good fighter. Well I can't say I'm that bad but I want to have some sort of training I can have as backup.
LEarn how to fight by watching YouTube videos. I learned every pressure point on ones body from that and I can easily take someone out with 2 fingers, fur real.
(03-06-2011, 08:15 AM)Ruyuk Wrote: [ -> ]LEarn how to fight by watching YouTube videos. I learned every pressure point on ones body from that and I can easily take someone out with 2 fingers, fur real.
same here to a lesser extent,can only do the carotid point but it works.
being on the recieving end of some pressure points hurts like frigging crazy,very effective.

baked,
if are going to get a proper punch bag,make sure to research the type first- as in,will it be ceiling or wall mounted,or one of those that are floor standing?
had wanted one when lived at home,but dad said the ceiling wont even hold the weight of those,so guess ceiling has to be a heavier type or reinforced.
the floor standing ones are good-but expensive.
(03-06-2011, 08:15 AM)Ruyuk Wrote: [ -> ]LEarn how to fight by watching YouTube videos. I learned every pressure point on ones body from that and I can easily take someone out with 2 fingers, fur real.

I would watch some YouTube videos, but I need something to practice my techniques on. Which is why I want the punching bag.
(03-06-2011, 09:23 AM)TechieĀ© Wrote: [ -> ]same here to a lesser extent,can only do the carotid point but it works.
being on the recieving end of some pressure points hurts like frigging crazy,very effective.

baked,
if are going to get a proper punch bag,make sure to research the type first- as in,will it be ceiling or wall mounted,or one of those that are floor standing?
had wanted one when lived at home,but dad said the ceiling wont even hold the weight of those,so guess ceiling has to be a heavier type or reinforced.
the floor standing ones are good-but expensive.

I was thinking about just getting maybe a lighter one, so I could hang it from the ceiling.
The floor standing aren't to bad but you have to fill it with something.

I think the ceiling I have could hold it though.
My step-dad and I use to do boxing every morning. If you have a partner I prefer the thing they hold that is about half the size of a human, 1 1/2 ft across or maybe 2. Its kind of curved. Anyways it works better IMO. If its just you though then def get a punching bag. I think its worth it.
I take it you don't have a little brother? That was my punching bag :p
(03-07-2011, 03:43 PM)Swat Runs Train Wrote: [ -> ]I take it you don't have a little brother? That was my punching bag :p

I bet now he is tough as nails, eh? That or gay... its one end of the spectrum or the other... Pinch
I got a punching bag years ago and use it to relieve stress or if I'm mad for some reason.
It won't improve your fighting though unless someone teaches you. Also the punching bag doesn't punch back. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2